Keyshot 5 or 6 screen freezing

Started by neroz, March 11, 2016, 07:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joseph

Avast has improve a lot from the last time I used it but I prefer Avira. This may be a strange request that I may ask you: Switch of from the internet for the time being, uninstall Avast, uninstall KeyShot. Reboot and install KeyShot and try it out if the problems persist. Your MSI notebook workstation is a certified hardware and it should not be doing this at all with programs like KeyShot.

Install back your Avast if you need to connect to the internet.

Chad Holton

Would you be able to post a screenshot of the whole screen when KeyShot freezes? It may give us some clues.

Thanks,
Chad

neroz

I uninstalled avast and keyshot. After, I installed keyshot but the problem is the same
Here a screenshot of keyshot freezes. I can move my mouse, but i can't click in the menu. For example, I just change the material and keyshot freezes

Chad Holton

Thanks for the screenshot. Nothing stands out that I can see. Has KeyShot 5 or 6 ever been successfully used on your machine?

neroz

No, this is the first time I install keyshot in my computer

Chad Holton

Try removing your keyshot6.xml file from your KeyShot 6 resource folder and restarting. If you still have no luck with it working after this, please contact: support@luxion.com

palegarto

Hello,

Unfortunately i have the same problem,

i tried CC cleaner and so on, but i couldn't seem to find any solution yet,

I use an MSI Workstation WS60 qj, i got it a week ago.

Please let me know if any solution is possible,

Regards

TpwUK

I just researched this a little more, the MSI WS60  series are ultra slim laptops, the reviews suggest that to get them this slim they have sacrificed on cooling. I will bet my bottom dollar that this is where the problems are going to be coming from. Just to clarify my suspicions though, do your machines need to be re-booted after KS has locked up, or can you still use the system even though KeyShot has froze ?

Martin

palegarto

I can still use the system, and all the other things work just fine, it'd only the Keyshot that won't respond

but i have recently experienced something new;

When i ask Keyshot to perform a particular command, i.e. 'move the object', the screen seems to freeze and nothing in the program responds, but then i switched to the desktop or any other program via alt+tab, and came back in, and i saw the particular command already performed by Keyshot. I also tried the %50 CPU option, which seemed to work for a while, but then still i had the same problem in the middle of an attempt to change a material.

joseph

Hi Martin. I think you almost got to the core of things. http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/msi-ws60-workstation. It either throttles immediately lowest speed to prevent overheating that gives an impression it freezes. I think KS should only be set to 1 or 2 cores where it might work better, scale it to more cores where it will work without a hitch. It may be certified for SWX or Autodesk but most MCAD software are not multi-threaded like keyshot. These are 2 recorded incidents here in the forum with a particular hardware. I suggest that they ask MSI about this also.

As far as I know, the i-6700Q is a 4 core processor with  speedy single core performance and hyper-threading performance to 8 cores.  The newer i7 xxxxU parts are further boosted but back to only 4 core.  - joseph

TpwUK

Quote from: joseph on March 19, 2016, 02:16:27 PM
Hi Martin. I think you almost got to the core of things. http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/msi-ws60-workstation. It either throttles immediately lowest speed to prevent overheating that gives an impression it freezes. I think KS should only be set to 1 or 2 cores where it might work better, scale it to more cores where it will work without a hitch. It may be certified for SWX or Autodesk but most MCAD software are not multi-threaded like keyshot. These are 2 recorded incidents here in the forum with a particular hardware. I suggest that they ask MSI about this also.

As far as I know, the i-6700Q is a 4 core processor with  speedy single core performance and hyper-threading performance to 8 cores.  The newer i7 xxxxm parts are further boosted but back to only 4 core.  - joseph

I don't think it will help with KS at one core either. Speed Stepping & Turbo Boost will just go as fast as the processors max speed is on one core. Activating more threads/cores slows the Mhz down but generates just as much heat because of the workload on the CPU. It's intriguing because the system does not lock completely as mentioned by palegarto, but when two msi laptops with the same cpu's are failing i think it has to be a hardware issue more than a KS problem ... we shall have to wait n see :)

Martin

neroz

so, you thing is the material problem?
this is very strange because with virtual machine KS works

TpwUK

Quote from: neroz on March 20, 2016, 11:15:24 AM
so, you thing is the material problem?
this is very strange because with virtual machine KS works

Well it's a 50/50 thing. No hardware provider can expect to support every piece of software, and the inverse applies, no software provider can reasonably expect to support every piece of hardware.

The whole point of a virtual machine is to mimic a working environment and as such it has a translation/interpretation layer somewhere in between, so in reality, you have not replicated your laptops hardware precisely otherwise KS would still lock-up. So i would still say the issue is going to be some strange hardware or driver issue that prevents KeyShot from working properly. As mentioned previously, CAD does not really strain a CPU these days, unless the software is 32 bit but that's more down to memory limitations more than the CAD software, so it could still be down to an overheating situation.

Martin

joseph

OEM version of Windows are sometimes tweak by the MSI and loaded with a special manufacturer (MSI, ACER, LENOVO etc) overlay to manage applications and hardware tuning/setting which some power users think as bloatware as it sometimes adds complexity. My MSI FX720 had reviews let down by this and most users re-installed their OS to bare Windows flavor without the OEM so called bloatware or replaced it with Windows Professional as it came with the Home version with very satisfactory results.

Neroz this my be the case running KS with vm as it by pass the above OEM overlay. Martin is right that compatibility is a 50/50 thing and quite surprising with an Intel system as I am using an AMD FX8310 for my desktop which is the least preferred platform in the industry. Pls. contact MSI. rgrds joseph

palegarto

Problem solved: My friend suggested that the pre-installed drivers and utilities may also interrupt Keyshot functioning so i re-installed almost all of them, even updated the BIOS from the MSI website.

Cheers!