20 New Images! Render DUMPPPPP

Started by Will Gibbons, May 23, 2016, 07:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Missed this thread update, but having seen them all on instagram I already know them well! I especially love the lamp of yours there. It's so difficult capturing that correct translucency with a light source behind, and at the same time preserve the appearance of a hard shell. Nailed it! Looks like a CPU killer too.

Also loving the power bank design. Love the "jacket" hard shell you've given it.

toasty1435

Will, where do you find your dust textures?  As a general usage question are they always applied as a texture over the complete surface? Was wondering if possible to make it more selective similar to how dust collects only on certain areas of an item on a shelf?

Awesome stuff!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Hossein Alfideh on August 13, 2018, 02:40:32 AM
I saw these on your IG,I love that power bank,I would totally buy one if I could find it on the market!
Great approach Will!

Thanks Hossein! Surprisingly, I think I would too, haha.

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on August 13, 2018, 05:10:46 AM
Missed this thread update, but having seen them all on instagram I already know them well! I especially love the lamp of yours there. It's so difficult capturing that correct translucency with a light source behind, and at the same time preserve the appearance of a hard shell. Nailed it! Looks like a CPU killer too.

Also loving the power bank design. Love the "jacket" hard shell you've given it.

Thanks, friend :) I really like how much of an eye for detail you have. The lamp shade comment makes me stoked because literally, every time we go into a DWR store, I walk up to it and admire the china-like translucency.

Quote from: toasty1435 on August 13, 2018, 05:14:23 AM
Will, where do you find your dust textures?  As a general usage question are they always applied as a texture over the complete surface? Was wondering if possible to make it more selective similar to how dust collects only on certain areas of an item on a shelf?

Awesome stuff!

Hey, Toasty! Thank you. As for dust, I really just have been using a handful of good ones I bought from Poliigon.com. Theirs are great and since it's usually used with a light touch (hopefully) you can get away with re-using the same ones quite a bit. I tend to apply them as a separate material as is demonstrated in a video on Esben Oxholm's youtube channel. As for controlling where dust accumulates, sure. You'll just need to use a combination of occlusion or curvature textures. I'm pretty sure occlusion has a bias/weight slider that can make dust only appear on the y-axis. There's a few clever ways to do this, but I think that's the way I'd try first. This mask would be plugged into the opacity of the dust material. Hopefully that's clear.

Will Gibbons

'Nother set of images for a 'monochromatic' image with use of labels for Render Weekly.

Had fun with this one. As usual, got carried away with the dust 'n stuff.

bdesign

Love the first shot, Will  8) Displacement on the volume knob?

Cheers,
Eric

DMerz III

Will Gibbons

Quote from: bdesign on August 27, 2018, 05:14:26 PM
Love the first shot, Will  8) Displacement on the volume knob?

Cheers,
Eric

Sadly, I did this on my home pc (KS7) so, like a weirdo, I busted out the tablet and just brushed those subtle grooves in place, haha. Thanks tho!

Quote from: DMerz III on August 28, 2018, 09:53:07 AM
;D these are slick!

Thanks, man!

Will Gibbons

Wow. Really blowing the dust off this time... sorry I've been away! Work has been busy as ever! Excuses aside, here's a handful KeyShot renderings from the archives.

- Sake... fun with caustics and nested dielectrics in KeyShot 8
- Tire... testing displacement in KeyShot 8
- Gel... testing nested dielectrics in KeyShot 8 along with bubbles and cloudy plastics (this on was a challenge to model)
- Lamp... new KeyShot 8 training model
- Material Study... exploring procedural mesh + displacement for tactile product textures in KeyShot 8
- Skulls... lighting and mood study. Skulls from artec3d.com

C&C or questions encouraged. Thanks, y'all!

Will Gibbons

A few more images that didn't fit on the previous post.

Spatula... two designs, one I abandoned, one I posted on IG. Some cloudy plastic
Shoe... I'm sure people are sick of seeing this shoe, but it was a home run for me as far as engagement goes on IG, so I was proud of that. This was crazy-heavy when I was finished because of all the displaced mesh. I think it clocked in at 43M tris at render time. Definitely a challenge. Shoe model by Sam Whit

Finema

Esben Oxholm

Lot's of good stuff, but love that top sake shot. Just stunning!

cjwidd

That shoe is spectacular, definitely some of your best work IMO. What's the story with that translucent material?

bdesign

Wow, Will...these are some next-level awesome images! +1 on the shoe, and Sake1.35 is really beautiful.

Cheers,
Eric

Serhan Yenilmez

Spectacular renders. I am amazed...

Ivan_____

Wow! They are all beautifull, I like the shoe and Sake the most.