Evolving Anti-Gear...

Started by TyRuben, June 26, 2016, 10:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM-92

I hope someday all this pieces come together and form a super mech warrior  ;D

Will Gibbons

I dig these little studies!

TyRuben

Thank you, gentlemen, greatly appreciated.

More to follow.

TyRuben

Colleagues,

COSICMO Light-Fork.

Modeled in SketchUp.

Rage on,
Ty

TyRuben

Colleagues -- I've designed a sensor.

bdesign

Totally dig this one! Very cool concept. I think if you add a small radius fillet to all the sharp edges, it will really make this render come to life. Also, not nit picking, just a small constructive criticism..."negative" is misspelled as "negarive" :)

Eric

Magnus Skogsfjord

Soo much details. Loving it.

TyRuben

Colleagues,

@> bdesign — I totally agree about the sharp edges on some of the smaller details — I struggled with that — weather to put in the time — or move on. In the end — the move to the next won out.

I've tried messing around with the "round edges" function in Keyshot — however, it always messes up the model — creates these weird artifacts around edges and such. Perhaps I'm missing something — this sensor is modeled in MOI — which I understand doesn't play nice with the round edges function. If anyone has an idea about what I might be doing wrong — or a work around of some kind — I'd be very pleased to receive guidance. e

As for the misspelling — I'm very impressed you spotted it — ! — I noticed when the render was nearly complete — such a drag. You have a shape set of eyes, my friend.

@> Magnus — Thank you — !

Rage on,
Ty

HaroldL

Because rounded edges are applied to the entire model, I apply all fillets in the CAD model before I send it over to Keyshot. that gives me more control over their size and location. IF I need to use rounded edges in Keyshot I wouldn't go beyond .005" [0.13 mm] because of some artifacts I've seen, especially on corners, where the rounded edges just kind of stick into each adjacent rounded edge. That is more noticeable on larger rounds so I keep them small.

Maybe an enhancement would be to allow the user to select the edges that are to get the rounded edge treatment.

I thought Moi was supposed to be great at fillets and rounds. ??? I've seen some video tutorials going through the process for some complex fillets and they turned out just fine. I'm not even a novice with Moi so there may be a technique to that.

NM-92

Quote from: HaroldL on July 18, 2016, 04:41:59 PM
Because rounded edges are applied to the entire model, I apply all fillets in the CAD model before I send it over to Keyshot. that gives me more control over their size and location. IF I need to use rounded edges in Keyshot I wouldn't go beyond .005" [0.13 mm] because of some artifacts I've seen, especially on corners, where the rounded edges just kind of stick into each adjacent rounded edge. That is more noticeable on larger rounds so I keep them small.

Maybe an enhancement would be to allow the user to select the edges that are to get the rounded edge treatment.

I thought Moi was supposed to be great at fillets and rounds. ??? I've seen some video tutorials going through the process for some complex fillets and they turned out just fine. I'm not even a novice with Moi so there may be a technique to that.

Rounded edges are not applied to the entire model. You can select pieces in the scene tree to apply them individually although you can't select which edges get the fillet and which not.

HaroldL

Quote from: NM-92 on July 18, 2016, 05:20:34 PM
... although you can't select which edges get the fillet and which not.
Whether it's a single part model or individual pieces of an assembly, that's the point I was making; you cannot select which edges get filleted.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: HaroldL on July 18, 2016, 04:41:59 PM
IF I need to use rounded edges in Keyshot I wouldn't go beyond .005" [0.13 mm] because of some artifacts I've seen, especially on corners, where the rounded edges just kind of stick into each adjacent rounded edge. That is more noticeable on larger rounds so I keep them small.
I support this. The rule of thumb is obviously that there are no definite sharp edges, so the fillet function works for the edges which you simply want to appear sharp, but still give it that extra little realistic push. Also, depending on the size and/or complexity of your model, you don't always have the luxury to add edge blends/fillets to every little geometry piece. This is at least the case when working with NURBS-based models. Especially if you work within an engineering department, where these details would just mess up the model for further use. This is where the fillet function in KS is superb, in order to add these details without actually having to model it. But again, up to a certain point.

I have also noticed that this function is slightly kinder to you for certain materials. i have examples where I've successfully used a fairly large fillet for simple translucent materials without being subjected to artifacts.

NM-92

I used it on all the shards of glass on my bullet scene. I was amazed by the performance, nothing slowed down, and cero artifacts.

TyRuben

Colleagues,

So, I investigated the rounded edges function with a good deal more focus — and unfortunately, found the results largely unsatisfying.

In the render below — round edges was set to .004 — which I find almost imperceivable.

When set any higher than .004 — the edges of the geometry became kind of fractal-like — and the long edges reflections broken into subsections.

When this model was exported from MOI as an .obj — I had is set as quads and triangles — so am now wondering if it might be improved if it was exported as all triangles?

Might find time to try this in the not too distant.

Rage on,
Ty

TyRuben

Colleagues,

A sensor cluster with some depth of field going on.

Rage on,
Ty