Render Elements

Started by Johnjoti, January 11, 2011, 10:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnjoti

Element-oriented rendering. Include in the Keyshot?

Light and shadow, flashes, reflection and refraction
separately in a separate files??

guest84672

You want everything on separate layers?

Johnjoti

exactly

or separately to the separate files

Johnjoti

guest84672

Johnjoti

wish list for new update?

JeffM

John, are can manually create these passes for now. Are you already doing this?

Johnjoti

No Jef
teach me to create these passes please

JeffM

KeyShot 2 is actually pretty nice for this since you can drag and drop a material onto the entire model at once by dragging from the library onto the top level of the model in the scene tree.

So, using that, you can apply certain materials to the entire model to get your passes.

It'd be a good idea to lock the camera during this process to make sure everything lines up.

I would start be rendering out my full color image, or hero pass, and then save the file so I can also go back to the final project result.

Then, start with passes.

Drag and drop the chrome material onto the entire model to get a reflections pass.

Drag and drop a white or gray diffuse material onto the whole model to get an ambient occlusion pass.

I like to get a clown pass by applying bright color flat materials to various parts. These flat materials give you perfect masks in photoshop by selecting with the magic wand.

If you use a white background and apply a flat white to the model you get your shadow on its own by setting that layer to "multiply".

You can use other materials on the model for different effects.

Let me know if there's some specifics you would like.

Johnjoti

THX Jef!!

I very want to make animation like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcP2Hp56iQ0&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1t3IE7HECw

I will do the post processing of AE
But to control fires requires a separate render passes with reflections and glare

It is a pity that the camera settings hasn't "glare shader"

JeffM

Yes, those are nice. The glare effect is very cool.

Cholton has done some such work with turntables. Take a look at this thread: http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=1328.0

You may want to inquire there about his process.

Trapcode Shine is the AE plugin that I would look into for this effect.

Chad Holton

John,

Based on your reference videos, you shouldn't need an extra pass to create the "glare/flare/spark" you desire. I do use separate passes for other things though.

I don't use AE, and not sure how you would achieve this in that particular program. The program I use basically grabs the brightest pixels at whatever threshold I desire.

For fun, I did a quick turntable today to demonstrate the different materials with the glare added. It turned out looking like a stop motion style animation but you'll get the idea. Here's one of the frames. The animation is also attached below.

Chad Holton

Here's another one. I bumped up the render settings a little on this one, for a more crisp turnout and a few tweaks. No turntable, just a couple of shots. The first one is straight outta KS and the other has a hint of sparkle and glow - just enough without getting carried away with it.