Fender Stratocaster American Elite

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, October 11, 2016, 01:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

I was sent some 3D data from Fender to do some test renders using their Fender Stratocaster American Elite in a test case. Not heard any conclusion from them yet, so I guess the process has been delayed. Anyhow, I've gotten a green light to publish them in my public portfolio, so at least they won't "dust" away on my hard drive. So this is not official work, unfortunately, but I'm still satisfied with the outcome, and pleased that I was allowed to publish it.

I spent a lot of time on preparing the geometry in NX (strings took quite a while), and equally lot of time in KeyShot to test different lighting and material setup. The pearl pickguard was particularly challenging, and you may see that it changes quite a lot from image to image.

A big shoutout to Martin (TpwUK) for providing me some lighting tips on this fella :)

So, brace yourselves, guitar renders are coming (apologize for the quantity).

Hossein Alfideh

Awesome work! I've seen some macro shots of this on your instagram, real beauty! wish I saw these shots before doing my own fender jazzmaster , these are really inspiring!
Thumbs up dude!

TpwUK

Awesome post Magnus and it's great to see these again. Those close-ups are especially good - Job very well done.

Martin

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Hossein Alfideh on October 11, 2016, 03:20:43 AM
Awesome work! I've seen some macro shots of this on your instagram, real beauty! wish I saw these shots before doing my own fender jazzmaster , these are really inspiring!
Thumbs up dude!
Cheers Hossein! Appreciate those kind words:) I saw your jazzmaster: really nice! More of a vintage/worn look on that.

Quote from: TpwUK on October 11, 2016, 05:53:18 AM
Awesome post Magnus and it's great to see these again. Those close-ups are especially good - Job very well done.
Thank you Martin! Always appreciate your encouragement. Thanks again for all your valuable feedback:)

JimmyToTheBe

Awesome Magnus these renders are super sexy, especially the close ups. Nice texturing on the main body of the Fender too.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: JimmyToTheBe on October 11, 2016, 06:12:45 AM
Awesome Magnus these renders are super sexy, especially the close ups. Nice texturing on the main body of the Fender too.
Hah, thanks man! Greatly appreciated :)

Finema

Really nice renders !!! bravo !! ;)
Just a little thing about the wood texture seam on the guitar face ??? perhaps a matter of UV mapping ?
The close up of the cords is awesome !

V-Rey

incredible's close up!! very very amazing job!!

mjb

Looks great  :D,
yeah you need to mirror the wood finish and stagger it a bit.. take a look at 'book matching' on google images
And purely a hobservation, the skunk stripe on the rear shot looks too metallic (unless...it's actually metal?) - but yeah, brilliant renders.

Speedster

QuoteJust a little thing about the wood texture seam on the guitar face ??? perhaps a matter of UV mapping ?
Looks perfect to me.  It's book matched "Tiger Maple", and what appears to be tiling is actually, at least to me, a spot-on treatment of the cellular structure in this very difficult to work wood.  I know, as I've used it in real life!

But I agree with mjb that perhaps the "matching" could use a few tweaks, as it should appear almost seamless at the joint, especially on this high quality guitar.

Absolutely stunning renderings!  Makes me want to model and render my rare Oro (OME) Prototype banjo!

Bill G

Despot

I've said this before about your work, it's absolutely sublime stuff, favourites are the close-up's on this one by far - really well done, DOF is cock on.

One thing puzzles me though, why would you need help with lighting ? All of your other renders are exceptional in that regard...

NM-92

Magnus, i think these is my favourite set of renders i've seen from you. As a fan of macro shots and close ups i have to say that the zoomed strings are absolutely stunning.

marcusha

Absolutely Incredible! Your wood textures are amazing for most of the parts. The shot impresses me the most is the 2nd from buttom, it's spot on! :) Might i ask where you got your wood texture?

Will Gibbons

Good lord man! These are stunning. My favorite work of yours to date. I as well would love to know what was involved with creating the wood textures on the neck, fretboard and body.  :o

bdesign

Magnus-

These are incredibly beautiful...outstanding work! I'm also a big fan of macro/DOF shots, and these are remarkable!

Eric