Volumetric Studies: Caustics, Godrays, Murky Water, Mist

Started by bdesign, December 04, 2016, 11:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdesign

I've been doing quite a bit of experimenting and testing to come up with a method for creating volumetric atmosphere ("fog") that reacts with light, shadow, and caustics. The example renders below are:

1. Green glass scene with volumetric caustics, lit with an IES spotlight + HDRI environment.
2. Interior scene with volumetric godrays, lit with an HDRI environment.
3. Lake scene with volumetric murky water depth, lit with an HDRI environment.
4. Stone island scene with volumetric mist, lit with an HDRI environment.

For the caustics scene, the fog was rendered directly in the beauty shot; for the others, the fog was rendered in a separate pass, and composited in Photoshop with a combination of Lighten and Screen blend modes.

The basic technique is this:

1. Create a primitive cube which encompasses the scene, then split into 6 separate faces with the Geometry Editor.
2. Create a "Fog XYZ" material: Advanced type, Diffuse = 50% grey, Specular = 0, Refraction Index = 1, Diffuse Transmission = 50% grey. Connect a Color To Number node to the Opacity channel, which controls the fog opacity via the Output From value (.1 in the caustics example scene).
3. Apply a Transformation Animation node to each of the 6 faces, along their respective normal axes, moving a distance equal to the scale of the cube (either positive or negative, depending on the initial position of the face). For example, in the caustics scene, the cube has a scale of 80, so each face has a translation value of either +80 or -80 in X, Y, or Z.
4. Set the FPS in the Timeline to 1, and the duration of each of the 6 translations to 1 second.
5. Enable Motion Blur.

Once Motion Blur is enabled, you will see the volumetric atmosphere begin to build up in "slices". The longer it renders, the smoother the fog will become. It will react with light, shadow, and caustics. For the murky water and mist fog passes, only the Y plane was utilized, starting from the bottom of the lake bed and the water surface, respectively, and a Color Fade animation node was applied to the Opacity of the Fog XYZ material to fade the fog as it moves up. The mist has a Fractal (Noise) node applied to the Diffuse and Diffuse Transmission channels, with Number Fade animation nodes applied to the Scale and Falloff, to break it up a bit. Also, for the murky water scene, the Fog XYZ material has a greenish color applied to the Diffuse and Diffuse Transmission channels. For the interior, lake, and stone island scenes below, I've attached the final comp, as well as the beauty and fog passes. I'm also attaching a link to a KSP tutorial file, which includes the setup used for the green glass caustics scene. It contains the volumetric fog cube with animations, the backdrop ramp, the spotlight, and 3 spheres with Gem, Diffuse, and Flat Black materials. There are 3 Scene Sets: Beauty, Caustics, and Fog Pass. The Fog Pass has a Flat Black material applied to all geometry except for the fog planes. When rendering the Caustics scene set, Caustics and Interior Mode should be enabled under the Lighting Tab.

Link to KSP file: http://bit.ly/2gQRNf7

Interior scene from cgtrader.com
3D rock scan by MGD Films, from sketchfab.com

Cheers,
Eric

NM-92

Great studies Eric. You are pushing Keyshot to the limit ! That green glass scene looks fantastic.

bdesign

Quote from: NM-92 on December 04, 2016, 11:38:15 AM
Great studies Eric. You are pushing Keyshot to the limit ! That green glass scene looks fantastic.
Thanks very much, Nico! I really appreciate the kind words  :)

Cheers,
Eric

Despot

This is way, way cool - those volume caustics are f****** awesome.

I'm in admiration of you :)

TpwUK

God rays and murky water are seriously outstanding efforts. All of them are smashing!

Martin

LayC42

bdesign

Quote from: Despot on December 04, 2016, 01:20:05 PM
This is way, way cool - those volume caustics are f****** awesome.

I'm in admiration of you :)
Thank you so much, John! To receive a comment like this from one of the most admired artists ever in the history of keyShot is, well...f****** awesome :)
Quote from: TpwUK on December 04, 2016, 01:29:38 PM
God rays and murky water are seriously outstanding efforts. All of them are smashing!

Martin

Thank you very kindly, Martin! I appreciate your kind words :)
Quote from: LayC42 on December 04, 2016, 01:44:54 PM
Very amazing Eric!
Thanks very much, Marco! Very kind of you to say so :)

Thanks again, guys...

Cheers,
Eric

Magnus Skogsfjord

I'm throwing myself with John's comment. This is fantastic! Very creative usage. Loving the mood you got in these images. This will be studied further!

Great job Eric!

bdesign

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on December 04, 2016, 02:17:22 PM
I'm throwing myself with John's comment. This is fantastic! Very creative usage. Loving the mood you got in these images. This will be studied further!

Great job Eric!
Thank you so much, Magnus! I really appreciate your observations and comments. Please do study it further...would love to see you incorporate the technique into one of your amazing renders!

Cheers,
Eric

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: bdesign on December 04, 2016, 02:25:56 PM
Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on December 04, 2016, 02:17:22 PM
Thank you so much, Magnus! I really appreciate your observations and comments. Please do study it further...would love to see you incorporate the technique into one of your amazing renders!
You are too kind, Eric! But yes, the mood you manage to get with this lighting is fantastic. I feel the urge to test it out as soon as possible.

bdesign

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on December 04, 2016, 02:32:34 PM
You are too kind, Eric! But yes, the mood you manage to get with this lighting is fantastic. I feel the urge to test it out as soon as possible.
Thanks again, Magnus! Too kind?...not at all my friend...you're a brilliant artist :) I'm really happy that you feel inspired by this! Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Cheers,
Eric

Josh3D

This is absolutely ingenious Eric. Going to put together a write up on this for the blog :)

Rex

Mind. Blown.

It is so awesome to see existing KeyShot features being utilized with such creativity! Really great stuff. Thank you for sharing!

bdesign

Quote from: Josh Mings on December 05, 2016, 08:19:30 AM
This is absolutely ingenious Eric. Going to put together a write up on this for the blog :)
Wow...thank you very much, Josh! That is really awesome!  8)
Quote from: Rex on December 05, 2016, 09:38:47 AM
Mind. Blown.

It is so awesome to see existing KeyShot features being utilized with such creativity! Really great stuff. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks so much, Rex! Your comments really mean a lot :)

Cheers,
Eric

Will Gibbons

Holy moly! These results are really impressive. #mousedrop