Volumetric Studies: Caustics, Godrays, Murky Water, Mist

Started by bdesign, December 04, 2016, 11:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: bdesign on January 19, 2017, 04:37:05 PM
Quote from: Esben Oxholm on January 19, 2017, 05:48:00 AM
Wow, I kinda see how it works, but I'm baffled how you managede to come up with this method in the first place?
I'm surprised that the results looks so good!
Hey Esben-

Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by "I kinda see how it works"(?) Did you try it out and not get the desired effect? If you have any questions, let me know.

Cheers,
Eric
I just tried to express that even though I understand why this methods works, I'm impressed that you were able to come up with the solution! :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

I just tried to express that even though I understand why this methods works, I'm impressed that you were able to come up with the solution! :)
+1 to that. Level: Professor.

bdesign

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on January 19, 2017, 11:50:53 PM
Quote from: bdesign on January 19, 2017, 04:37:05 PM
Quote from: Esben Oxholm on January 19, 2017, 05:48:00 AM
Wow, I kinda see how it works, but I'm baffled how you managede to come up with this method in the first place?
I'm surprised that the results looks so good!
Hey Esben-

Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by "I kinda see how it works"(?) Did you try it out and not get the desired effect? If you have any questions, let me know.

Cheers,
Eric
Thank you, Esben!
Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on January 20, 2017, 12:51:18 AM
+1 to that. Level: Professor.
Oh man, you are way too kind, Magnus! Thank you!

Cheers guys,
Eric

NormanHadley

I can't even begin to think through the inventiveness, flair and persistence that these images represent, Eric.

Next you'll be telling me you can model a Spectre of Brocken...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spectre+of+broken&safe=active&espv=2&biw=1087&bih=581&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5r7zK59DRAhWlDsAKHeXUAvsQ_AUIBigB

NM-92

Actually moving the animation cursor can lead to some cool effects also. This one was set on 0.5s right where the planes of the cube meet, creating more dense fog. Image attached.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: NormanHadley on January 20, 2017, 05:22:19 AM
I can't even begin to think through the inventiveness, flair and persistence that these images represent, Eric.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spectre+of+broken&safe=active&espv=2&biw=1087&bih=581&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5r7zK59DRAhWlDsAKHeXUAvsQ_AUIBigB

Maybe it could be tested by making the IoR value that of water/fog?... or faked with a rainbow color gradient procedural set to spherical or cylindrical mapping... who knows?

NM-92

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 20, 2017, 06:56:07 AM

Maybe it could be tested by making the IoR value that of water/fog?... or faked with a rainbow color gradient procedural set to spherical or cylindrical mapping... who knows?

Applying a texture to one of the planes can give interesting results too, and it can simulate a rainbow.

bdesign

What a wonderful compliment, Norman...thank you! I'll see what I can work up for the spectre :)

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

Quote from: NM-92 on January 20, 2017, 05:33:09 AM
Actually moving the animation cursor can lead to some cool effects also. This one was set on 0.5s right where the planes of the cube meet, creating more dense fog. Image attached.
Hey Nico-

You can control the fog density with the Output From value of the Color To Number node which is plugged into the opacity channel of the Fog XYZ material.

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 20, 2017, 06:56:07 AM

Quote from: NM-92 on January 20, 2017, 08:13:28 AM

Applying a texture to one of the planes can give interesting results too, and it can simulate a rainbow.
Some cool effects can definitely be acheived by applying texture maps, changing IOR, and even changing material types. A glass material can give a trippy "hologram" type of effect as it reflects the environment. Keep on experimenting!

Cheers,
Eric

BenG075

Eric,

This is absolutely crazy technic you found ! I love what I have seen and I am really happy to use that for upcoming renderings :)
Thanks a lot for sharing this technic ! You are god ! :)

Ben

// Attached my trial with your technic, just made some curve adjustment on photoshop //
+1 with post : adding several times the same renders (with alpha transparency check), it lighten up the scene !

DMerz III

bdesign

Quote from: BenG075 on January 28, 2017, 05:26:47 AM
Eric,

This is absolutely crazy technic you found ! I love what I have seen and I am really happy to use that for upcoming renderings :)
Thanks a lot for sharing this technic ! You are god ! :)

Ben

// Attached my trial with your technic, just made some curve adjustment on photoshop //
+1 with post : adding several times the same renders (with alpha transparency check), it lighten up the scene !

Thanks very much for your kind words, Ben :) It's nice to see examples of the technique being utilized. I would offer the suggestion that you let the render rez up longer with more samples to further smooth out the motion blur (viewed full resolution, you can see some gaps between the fog planes). Also, rendering the fog in a separate pass is much faster, and allows a lot of flexibility in the overall look of the atmosphere when compositing it over your beauty render (try using a combination of Lighten and Screen blend modes in Photoshop). To render the fog as a separate pass, just create a Scene Set with a flat black material applied to all geometry except the fog planes.

Cheers,
Eric