Esben's Tutorials (+ Rust, color animation and bead blasted aluminum)

Started by Esben Oxholm, January 12, 2017, 02:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Hi guys  :)

Just wanted to share a tutorial with you that I recently created.
It shows the process of creating a hammered metal material using the material graph in KeyShot.

https://youtu.be/l8NYiNjzgt4

Thanks for watching.
Best,

Finema

Excellent tutorial Esben !
And your voice is very nice  :)

NM-92

Nice ! I learned a couple of things from this. Thanks for sharing.

soren

Very nice tutorial. I have a few comments regarding the technical construction of the graph (merely suggestions):

Since the cellular texture has the same shape/appearance for all instances, I suggest using a single cellular texture node with the colors you want to use for the metal. You can use the same cellular node for bump and color - the bump height is not affected by the colors you define. For roughness, I suggest running the same (single) cellular node through either a Color to Number or a color gradient remapping - that way you convert the existing color output into a more suitable range fo the roughness you desire.

One key advantage of this approach, is that if you wish to change the scale later, you only need to do it one place; this is particular convenient for somebody else using the material.

/Søren

[Edit]
Instead of assigning the metal colors to the cellular it would be better to use black and white and use a color gradient remapping to define the colors. Otherwise the range of the roughness will be limited to the brightness of the two metal colors (hope that makes sense).

CoalHedgehog

Excellent!

Will be perfect for creating metal welds.  :)

Esben Oxholm

Thanks, all!

A great bunch of tips, Søren.
I actually thought that the brightness of the colors affected the bump-height. Good to know they do not!
Also, I never realised you could use the gradient to 're-map' colors. Awesome!

I tried implementing all your suggestions and I totally understand the benefit from this.
Sometimes I just think that the graph looks more cluttered and confusing this way.
I have dreamt a lot about a global scale multiplier for materials: A slider that scales all used maps in a material proportionally  8)

Thanks again for the wisdom!

Esben Oxholm

Finema

really good tutorial Esben. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Chad Holton

Esben Oxholm

Thank you guys! Much appreciated.
Here's a new one. More material graph stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhLY7U80A8Y

LayC42

Great tutorial again! After using KeyShot for a while, it's good to know that there are new things to learn.
Thank you!

Will Gibbons

I honestly hadn't used a texture on weight 1 and weight 2 before. Nice job getting lots of milage out of one simple image texture.

TpwUK

I echo the comments of Will and LayC42 - Awesome technique!

Martin

Esben Oxholm

Thank you guys!

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 30, 2017, 10:18:47 AM
I honestly hadn't used a texture on weight 1 and weight 2 before.
Ha, me neither :D
I normally layer different materials and use the map in the opacity channel to get this effect, but using a map on the bump weight might be handy in some situations.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on January 31, 2017, 12:55:27 AM
Thank you guys!

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 30, 2017, 10:18:47 AM
I honestly hadn't used a texture on weight 1 and weight 2 before.
Ha, me neither :D
I normally layer different materials and use the map in the opacity channel to get this effect, but using a map on the bump weight might be handy in some situations.

There's always something elegant and attractive about efficiency.