Keyshot is becoming more like modo and less like Keyshot

Started by G2Art, February 16, 2017, 01:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Great feedback, guys!
And Bill, you are insane... in a good way.  :)

Dries

mattjgerard

Quote from: dmerziii on February 22, 2017, 12:51:52 PM

I come from a graphic design/photography background, and Keyshot is my first experience,

Oh you poor poor sap, you never got to experience the joy of spending hours and hours and days of renders trying to figure out why your GI was flickering, figuring out what the heck normals were when only engineers knew (and weren't telling anyone!) and why they would make the geo freak out your textures and all of the other hair pulling sessions trying to figure out how to make all this stuff work.

You are very fortunate to have missed all that, now we all live in a drag n drop world, where I hope that software designers still give us the ability to poke deep into the apps they are creating to tweak and tweak to our hearts content.

Speedster

Quotenow we all live in a drag n drop world
Well, if you get too bored playing with KeyShot, there's always the Plug-and-Play fallback- I think they call it sex!  And you can poke as deep as you want!
Bill G

DMerz III

;D I'm very lucky indeed, what a time to be alive!

But it is wonderful to think about how far the technology and the software has come, I wonder what we would be the "flickering GI" issue of today?
I'm thinking UV Mapping might be a contender. 5 years from now, the new guys will wonder what all the fuss was about; 'you just hit the button, man!' Presto, the model is unwrapped perfectly, the UVs are ready to go. (5 years might be a wild overestimation actually).

DriesV

Quote from: dmerziii on February 23, 2017, 01:13:09 PM
;D I'm very lucky indeed, what a time to be alive!

But it is wonderful to think about how far the technology and the software has come, I wonder what we would be the "flickering GI" issue of today?
I'm thinking UV Mapping might be a contender. 5 years from now, the new guys will wonder what all the fuss was about; 'you just hit the button, man!' Presto, the model is unwrapped perfectly, the UVs are ready to go. (5 years might be a wild overestimation actually).

Future person A: "Can you believe people used to do UV unwrapping to paint in 2D?"
Future person B: "So they actually had to push a button that would cut a model into pieces and somehow puzzle them together on a plane? To paint pixels? That's insane!"
Future person A: "I know, right? Thank god we have voxel painting now."
Future person B: "Yeah."

Dries

Speedster

Years ago, just out of college in the mid 1960's (they say "if you can remember the 1960's, you weren't there") I worked in Hollywood as lighting designer for the great sci-fi writer Ray Bradbury's production of three one-act plays.  A crazy genius, to be sure, a great man, and a good friend! 

One was called "The Veldt", a mind-blowing short story.  But the "veldt" was actually what we might call today "immersive VR" or something similar.  The bottom line is, we may not be far off from not needing "product" as a physical object- we simply enjoy the experience of it.  Far fetched?  Not really!

But this sucks for us product designers!  But then, without the product, where does the render come from?

Bill G

HaroldL

Quote from: Speedster on February 23, 2017, 01:56:46 PM
. . . One was called "The Veldt", a mind-blowing short story.  . . .

Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite SciFi writers. "A Sound of Thunder" and "The Long Rain" are a couple of his stories that were also put on film. I remember seeing "The Veldt" on TV. The ending is certainly a "Whoa" moment.