Main Menu

Guitar neck

Started by Andrzej Orzecki, February 18, 2017, 09:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrzej Orzecki

Hello everyone!

Some time ago during watching ''KeyShot Webinar 56: How to Improve Your Render'' i stopped at the scene of guitar neck which was explained, because i was clearly impressed about this picture. The first thing which came to my mind was, how the hell is it made?:) So without thinking to much i downloaded a model from grabcad and i just started doing something. After finishing and exploring this forum more,i found who the author is and his whole project on Behance. And of course before sharing i've ask him that can i do this. Once again thank you Magnus very much for understanding:)
So i have not tried to replicate it in 100%. I was trying to push myself through whole bunch of option involved in that scene.

Of course i will be very grateful for any kind of opinion.

NM-92

Pretty good results ! Is there a bump map on the cords ? I always wondered how this was created.

bdesign

Nice job. I think the first one looks best. A technical detail about guitar strings: the first two strings in a set (the thinnest ones, high E and B) are not wound and will have a smooth metal finish  ;)

Cheers,
Eric

Magnus Skogsfjord

Nice results man!

Eric is right in the fact that the first two strings are not wound. Other than that, I would probably tone down the wood bump just a tiny tad, and perhaps add a roughness map to it, as it has a slight wax-feeling right now. But hey, very nice effort!

Quote from: NM-92 on February 18, 2017, 10:58:36 AM
Is there a bump map on the cords ? I always wondered how this was created.
Well, on my effort I modeled the wound strings.

Andrzej Orzecki

Thank you guys! It was really good lesson for me,and big inspiration.

Yes,i was used a screw threads as well as cast iron bump and twisted a little scale,angle and height.

It's a shame that a did such a big mistake. My father was playing guitar almost whole life :) But right now i will remember that,thank you!

I will try to work a little again and apply that changes,thank you Magnus for tips.

Best regards!

Speedster

Nice!  But it appears that the strings are in tangent contact to the frets.  There should be a small gap between them to allow chording.
Bill G

bdesign

Quote from: Speedster on February 19, 2017, 08:36:29 AM
Nice!  But it appears that the strings are in tangent contact to the frets.  There should be a small gap between them to allow chording.
Bill G
Good eye, Bill! Very keen observation :)

Cheers,
Eric

Speedster

My ORO (OME) Prototype banjo has really closely set strings, and can be somewhat of a challenge!
Bill G

Robb63

Eric, you must be using a really thick gauge of strings!  :)
I use 10's on my electric guitar, and the three high strings are unwound.

Esben Oxholm

Looking good.
Seems like the frets could look a bit worn out as well to match the string and 'dots' on the neck (not sure of their name).

(Seems like there's a lot of musicians amongst us :) )

bdesign

Quote from: Robb63 on February 20, 2017, 09:43:39 AM
Eric, you must be using a really thick gauge of strings!  :)
I use 10's on my electric guitar, and the three high strings are unwound.
Whoops! I had forgotten that it's different for electric guitars...I was referencing my acoustic. Drums is my primary instrument :)

Cheers,
Eric

imikej

Really nice perspective!  Here are some thoughts about the surfaces:
1. The first three strings are typically wound
2. The fret dots should be recessed (or even with the rosewood)
3. The neck is usually a high gloss over the rosewood
4. The rosewood could use some contrast before you make it gloss

Hope that is helpful.