Contact animation in Keyshot

Started by blueye89, March 10, 2017, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueye89

Hello to all,
I am starting a new topic with the purpose to ask is it possible to make contact animation between parts in keyshot?
Similar animation is on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av0obiqs7jo
So, one part is sliding on the surface of the other. For the simple movements, I can manage it manually in Keyshot, but if the path is complex like 2D spline curve (where one part is pushing other other via contact) what do you suggest me to do?
Many thanks!
Danijel

blueye89

Also, for animation like this, any idea?

Esben Oxholm

Hi blueye,
To the best of my knowledge these kind of contact animations is not possible to simulate within KeyShot.
My best advice would be to create the animation in a software that can do it and export it to KeyShot via the alembic file format (.abc), if possible.

richardfunnell

If you create mechanisms in Creo/ ProE or part animations in Solid Edge, they will import directly into KeyShot.
Both 3D packages allow you to create geometric relationships in your model (exactly like the animations you reference) that can be played back using the animation tools in KeyShot.

Otherwise there's no way to create relationship based animations in KeyShot other than part rotations.

blueye89

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on March 11, 2017, 01:10:47 PM
Hi blueye,
To the best of my knowledge these kind of contact animations is not possible to simulate within KeyShot.
My best advice would be to create the animation in a software that can do it and export it to KeyShot via the alembic file format (.abc), if possible.

Quote from: richardfunnell on March 13, 2017, 05:05:35 AM
If you create mechanisms in Creo/ ProE or part animations in Solid Edge, they will import directly into KeyShot.
Both 3D packages allow you to create geometric relationships in your model (exactly like the animations you reference) that can be played back using the animation tools in KeyShot.

Otherwise there's no way to create relationship based animations in KeyShot other than part rotations.
I have never exported file in .abc extension, so is it possible to export .abc from Inventor or Siemens NX?

richardfunnell

Sadly, neither Inventor or NX animations will import into KeyShot. I'm an NX user myself and would love this functionality!

Right now your best bet would be to try and recreate those animations as best you can in KeyShot, otherwise different modeling tools would be your only option.

blueye89

Quote from: richardfunnell on March 14, 2017, 05:34:31 AM
Sadly, neither Inventor or NX animations will import into KeyShot. I'm an NX user myself and would love this functionality!

Right now your best bet would be to try and recreate those animations as best you can in KeyShot, otherwise different modeling tools would be your only option.

Thank you very much for the clear explanation!

MartynW

I also work a company that are big users of NX, and its Motion Simulation application, so would love to be able to export that to KeyShot.
Unfortunately the animation in KeyShot is quite restrictive in terms our products.
I am really hoping for something in KeyShot 7 that will help.

CoalHedgehog

Quote from: richardfunnell on March 13, 2017, 05:05:35 AMI have never exported file in .abc extension, so is it possible to export .abc from Inventor or Siemens NX?

Depending on your Inventor packgage, you can import into 3DS Max from Inventor and I *think* NX, and then export in abc from 3DS Max.