Jimmy's Render Practise (+ Wooden Toy Train)

Started by JimmyToTheBe, April 12, 2017, 04:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyToTheBe

Currently working on some nature scenes, which makes a change from my normal Solidworks models for real work! It's quite satisfying to bring elements together from the likes of https://sketchfab.com/models/categories/nature-plants and https://megascans.se/library/free to build a highly detailed scene. Still need ideas of where to go with this but it's looking cool.

First image: RAW render
Second image: Post Process PS

Will Gibbons

Very nice! I think you just need a focal point or some sort of narrative.

JimmyToTheBe

Feeling a little festive today with these little beauties. https://www.blankrepository.com/collections/raw-scans  Gave me an entertaining lunch hour render. Maybe I was just hungry for some cookies! Nevertheless these great little 3D scanned cookies are great to look at.

Gave a maximum samples render for about 30mins.
And some depth of field.

First one is RAW keyshot, second is with some Photoshop filters.

Josh3D

That looks great! Maybe a touch burnt? But love that texture!

Will Gibbons

Cool! What's your go-to method for making piles like this. Just curious of everyone's approach.

JimmyToTheBe

Quote from: Will Gibbons on December 18, 2017, 07:46:34 AM
Cool! What's your go-to method for making piles like this. Just curious of everyone's approach.

Thanks Will, for this test I used blender with a simple setup and a slow gravity drop just to get some randomization. I will look at doing a workflow soon.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: JimmyToTheBe on December 19, 2017, 06:29:17 AM
Quote from: Will Gibbons on December 18, 2017, 07:46:34 AM

Thanks Will, for this test I used blender with a simple setup and a slow gravity drop just to get some randomization. I will look at doing a workflow soon.

No problem! I do the same. Was just curious. Nice results.

JimmyToTheBe

Ok, first post of the year (Been working too hard and no time for spare renders) but nevertheless here is one using some textures from https://www.poliigon.com such a nice array of free textures suggested by the likes of http://esbenoxholm.dk/ & the keyshot team.

Let me know what you think guys.

Josh3D

Lovely textures. At first, thought it may look interesting with the wall and floor textured switched. Light might be a little too hot.

JimmyToTheBe

Quote from: Josh Mings on March 05, 2018, 12:44:33 PM
Lovely textures. At first, thought it may look interesting with the wall and floor textured switched. Light might be a little too hot.

Thanks Josh, Yeah I guess you could switch the textures round maybe have a wood paneled wall instead. The lighting I wanted a really warm feeling that only came from this light source, rather than environment.
I'm working a on new scene which is the opposite of this.

Magnus Skogsfjord

I really like the textures and the minimalistic approach. Individually it all looks really nice in my opinion. Maybe a tad hot light source, but that's already mentioned by Josh.

If I were to change anything, I would maybe consider changing the wall to something cleaner. Given the textures on both walls and floor, a cleaner and subtle textured wall would tone down the business and ease the scene a bit . Then again, it might come down to personal taste :)

JimmyToTheBe

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on March 07, 2018, 04:18:17 PM
I really like the textures and the minimalistic approach. Individually it all looks really nice in my opinion. Maybe a tad hot light source, but that's already mentioned by Josh.

If I were to change anything, I would maybe consider changing the wall to something cleaner. Given the textures on both walls and floor, a cleaner and subtle textured wall would tone down the business and ease the scene a bit . Then again, it might come down to personal taste :)

Thanks Magnus

Avsha

Quote from: JimmyToTheBe on October 06, 2017, 02:11:14 AM
As I was pondering the net for a model of a Google VR head set I came across sketchfab.com and they're array of free 3d scanned stuff. This gave me an idea to see if they work well in keyshot. I used a landscape scan and one of my scanned 3d people. The effect is really amazing with some camera f-stop.

This is really nice work on the Google VR scene. Did you use the "Daylight lighting" by the hour of the day or have you created a new light source?
About the lense depth of field, what was your reference point of aim? It looks like there are multiple areas that are blurred.

JimmyToTheBe

Quote from: avsh_noham on March 16, 2018, 07:32:39 AM
Quote from: JimmyToTheBe on October 06, 2017, 02:11:14 AM
As I was pondering the net for a model of a Google VR head set I came across sketchfab.com and they're array of free 3d scanned stuff. This gave me an idea to see if they work well in keyshot. I used a landscape scan and one of my scanned 3d people. The effect is really amazing with some camera f-stop.

This is really nice work on the Google VR scene. Did you use the "Daylight lighting" by the hour of the day or have you created a new light source?
About the lense depth of field, what was your reference point of aim? It looks like there are multiple areas that are blurred.

Thanks noham. Yeah I remember using a sun light source with a fairly warm colour to it. As for the camera blur, I focused on the corner of the wall just behind the guy.

JimmyToTheBe

The scene below is one I've been working on a bit longer for. I wanted to try and use as little light sources as I could for a gloomy feel. With a small touch of warm light from the ceiling light.

The room itself i modelled with an area light at the window and a curved plane on the outside for the backdrop. The other models where used from 3d sky.com. The render is initially a low resolution as I only let it render for about 20 minutes. Still needs some work but I will do a longer render soon.