How do I edit image sequences for the turntable?

Started by Jonm4y, August 01, 2017, 01:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonm4y

I own Keyshot 5 and I have been tasked to create a turntable animation of a 3D floorplan. This I have no problem with, but once the frames are exported as individual files and packaged into a folder structure, how can I then edit the individual images and then re-run the animation?

Basically I need to add a 2D key alongside the animation. My idea was to import the sequence into premier, overlay my png the length of the animation and then export back to jpg images with the same name, although this works in premiere, it doesn't work when you hit the browser link in the folder structure, this just opens a blank page. So I assume im breaking some kind of link here, even though the new files which have overwritten the old ones still have the exact same name.

Can anyone offer any advice or perhaps offer an alternative method for creating a key over my animation? Hope this makes sense?!

Will Gibbons

I would go about doing it in Premiere. Why do you need the image on each frame? Just add a PNG of the image (key) as a 2nd video channel in Premiere and make it last the duration of your entire animation. Then, render out the video from Premiere. I'm not sure why you're exporting frames from Premiere as you mentioned you're trying to make an animation.

Are you able to import your frames into Premiere as an image sequence? When you browse to add the images into Premiere, you just need to select the first frame and click the 'image sequence' checkbox at the bottom of the file browser. Then, right-click the image and choose 'create sequence from...' and all the frames will be added to your timeline. Not sure if this is where you were hitting a wall.

mattjgerard

Sounds like he is making it all the way through that process but when the images are replaced in the folder supposedly with the same names, they aren't being recognized when the thing is loaded into the web browser. I used to do the same thing out of cinema 4d, and replace images in a prebuilt javascript spinner, and the same result would happen. In my case the images were 1 pixel off in size and that was keeping them from being recognized, so double check all the stats and settings of the processed images vs the original ones. just the smallest difference in size, image type, metadata or whatever can freak out the scripting in some of these things.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on August 02, 2017, 08:09:25 AM
Sounds like he is making it all the way through that process but when the images are replaced in the folder supposedly with the same names, they aren't being recognized when the thing is loaded into the web browser. I used to do the same thing out of cinema 4d, and replace images in a prebuilt javascript spinner, and the same result would happen. In my case the images were 1 pixel off in size and that was keeping them from being recognized, so double check all the stats and settings of the processed images vs the original ones. just the smallest difference in size, image type, metadata or whatever can freak out the scripting in some of these things.

Sounds like you picked up on what I overlooked. I thought the animation in question was to be a video file. Sounds like an image sequence for web is more accurate. In that case, I wasn't much help before. I could see frame output from something like Premiere though. Hmm.

mattjgerard

In theory it should work, import into premiere, overlay the bug, export to a frame stack of jpegs, use a file renamer to match the file name style of the originals, and replace. After doing a backup of the original of course :)

I haven't tried to do it with the Keyshot VR output, as we dont have the plugin, I only did it with the other js plugin I used with my Cinema 4D outputs. Sometimes it worked flawlessly, sometimes it didn't and it was always some stupid little metadata tweak that freaked it out, like changing the embedded color profile, or something like that.

I ended up using a photoshop action that I made, and that was more reliable than outputting frames from Premiere or After Effects, as you could specify to save them as the same file type and all that.

So, try to create a photoshop action set and use the Image Processor script in PS to apply your overlay. It actually works pretty darn quick for the large number of images that can be included in a turntable thing. Just need to make sure you match the naming style exactly, and depending on your OS, it might see a difference between a hyphen that is on the main keyboard and the minus that is on the 10key. Don't ask me how I found that out.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.