Backface Culling?

Started by Paleohunter, August 04, 2017, 10:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleohunter

Hi all,

I have ran into an issue that I'm hoping that you can help me with. I need to not render the backfaces that are facing the camera in this scene. This is a Lidar scan of a cave and I need to exclude the roof of the cave for this render. I found an older post that suggested adding an emissive node in the material graph, I tried that but it didn't work for me.

Keyshot 6.3 Pro for Zbrush is the version I'm using.

Thanks!

DriesV

If you enable Experimental features (Preferences > Advanced), then you get the Surface Backside Mask utility node in the Material Graph. You can hook this up to the Opacity channel, with maybe a Color Invert in between depending on the normal orientation. This will give you the desired effect.

Dries

DriesV

Something like this rather simplified cave. :)

Dries

Paleohunter

Thank you, Dries! That was exactly what I needed, worked like a charm. The original thread I found had you insert an emissive node instead of a color invert node.

Thanks again!

cjwidd

I'm using Keyshot 7 and there is no Experimental Features option under the Advanced tab in the preferences window (?)

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: cjwidd on September 18, 2017, 08:34:48 PM
I'm using Keyshot 7 and there is no Experimental Features option under the Advanced tab in the preferences window (?)

Hi cjwidd.

For some reason the experimental features has been removed from the KS7 UI.
I haven't tried this myself but you should be able to make it appear by going to your KS7Settings.xml file
and setting <experimental_features bool="false"/>     to     <experimental_features bool="true"/>

Hope it works.
Best,

cjwidd

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on September 19, 2017, 12:10:06 AMI haven't tried this myself but you should be able to make it appear by going to your KS7Settings.xml file
and setting <experimental_features bool="false"/>     to     <experimental_features bool="true"/>

Where is this file located?

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: cjwidd on September 19, 2017, 02:59:28 AM
Quote from: Esben Oxholm on September 19, 2017, 12:10:06 AMI haven't tried this myself but you should be able to make it appear by going to your KS7Settings.xml file

Where is this file located?
In Windows it's located in the documents folder as keyshot7.xml
On a MAC as Esben said.

cjwidd

No change, unfortunately

Esben Oxholm

Have you checked the graph?
Maybe the experimental nodes becomes available without the need to check the experimental features checkbox.

INNEO_MWo

Just check the lighting tab on the bottom. If there are more than product and interior mode, than experimental features are available. Also in the material graph in the utilities you'll find the new ray mask as well the backside-surface mask.

The preferences doesn't show the "experimental option"

Cheers
Marco

cjwidd

I definitely appreciate the advice, but I am afraid these features are still not available. I am using an education version, which according to the product comparison, should not make a difference.

cjwidd

Quote from: MWo on September 19, 2017, 09:09:52 AM
Just check the lighting tab on the bottom. If there are more than product and interior mode, than experimental features are available. Also in the material graph in the utilities you'll find the new ray mask as well the backside-surface mask.

The preferences doesn't show the "experimental option"

Cheers
Marco

This seems like a fairly serious inconvenience, but perhaps I have missed something?

DriesV

I just tested this with the EDU version and experimental features work perfectly after editing the xml file.
Are you sure you saved the xml file and that you weren't running KeyShot while making the change?

Dries

Esben Oxholm

When I try on mac, I get a critical error, that it can't load the file.
Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

KeyShot is closed while editing and saving the file and I don't edit any other lines in the xml.