Jagged edges when importing through the F360-plugin

Started by Blacktip, October 05, 2017, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacktip

Hello. I am experiencing severe jagginess when importing a Fusion 360-model into Keyshot 7.1. All vector data are seemingly rendering extremely jaggy, and from a layman's perspective it seems like the nurbs-data doesn't get transferred from F360 into KS. If I import the same model as a .STEP-file, everything looks buttery smooth. See attached file for a visual example of what I mean.

Is there anyone out there that has a solution to this? I'd like to note that I am currently in contact with the tech support regarding this issue, but perhaps someone else want to chime in on a possible cause of the error? I really would like to have the connection working via the plugin, because any changes I make when modelling is easy to update back into KS. Cheers.

Josh3D

Hey Markus, I've run some test and definitely seeing some tessellation on some of the models I've opened.  There is no setting I know of in Fusion 360 to adjust the quality of the tesselation.

In February 2015, Colin Smith, Product Manager for Fusion 360, mentioned on the Fusion 360 forum that "there is work being done around tessellation." It's yet to be addressed that I can find.

We'll report our finding to Autodesk as well.

Blacktip

Ok, nice that I'm not alone with my troubles. Let's hope that the Autodesk people (and you) sort this out as soon as possible. I really would like to be able to bounce back and forth between rendering & modeling. Thanks for replying about this.

Blacktip

Hello again. Any news in the hunt for... eh, tessies? Or rather – what does Autodesk say? If anything?

GrishnakkMaster

Hello, same problem here. I just wanted to add that the information given under the Keyshot plugin page is a bit weird because it mentions tessellation controls.

Greg_R

Have had the same problem so I did a little digging and was able to find a solution.  There is now a setting called Display Detail Control that has 3 settings for the tessellation, Low, Medium, and High.  You can get to it by right clicking on the Document Settings in the tree, or by right clicking each body in the tree.  I checked the fixed option, and then changed it to high.  Models are importing much cleaner into Keyshot now.  Below is a link to the Autodesk info about the feature.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/march-1-2017-update-whats-new/

Greg_R

Ok, maybe not a fix anymore.  What I am seeing when I do this is that the surfaces look smoother, but now I am seeing lines on the surface of the objects.  It looks like little gaps in the triangulation of the surfaces.  Also still seeing some faceting on the fillets.  Attached are a couple examples.

hamay

Greg,

I think I am getting the same error as you are. Have you managed to get rid of the lines in your render? Please compare my thread: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=21442.0.

—Hamay

Greg_R

I haven't seen an update to the Plugin or the something in Fusion that is a fix.  They only solution for me is to export a stp or iges file from Fusion and import that file into Keyshot, when I need quality surfaces for rendering.  The plugin is only good for me when i want to quickly evaluate something in KS.

Finema

Hi Greg
I can't reproduce it.
I use the plugin and it's smooth.
have you a sample Fusion 360 file to test ?

Greg_R

Sure, just created this file.  You can see the faceting on both the hard edges of the chamfer, and in the rounds.

Finema

Yes you are right
I've tested with your file and the render is faceting on the edges.
I've never noticed that before.

hamay

Greg,

I get that weird lines on the surface that look like indents irrespective of exporting either as .stp or .iges file.

This is getting really frustrating at this moment.

—Hamay

Blacktip

Hello @Luxion. Do you have any sort of update of this issue? A tiny bit of progress, or ... anything?

Regards,
frustratedfusion360modeller

PerFotoVDB

Same here,

Live link imports are really jagged and there are no controls offered.
Disappointing.

Per