Surface Backside Mask in Keyshot 7

Started by RandomUninterestingName, January 13, 2018, 03:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandomUninterestingName

So I was looking around on how to create a two sided material and I found a forum post which illustrated how to add a Surface Backside Mask to a material.

However looking through the possibilities in KeyShot 7 I don't see an option for a Backside Surface Mask.

Where can I find this option to create my two sided surface?

LayC42

You'll need the experimental features. Since KS 7.0 you have to edit the keyshot7...xml with an editor. Search for experimental and set the parameter as true.
Start KeyShot and you'll find that utility node.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Marco

RandomUninterestingName

Oh wow I never thought about actually editing the xml file! Well that was easy in the end. Thanks!

RandomUninterestingName

Well I know why this is an experimental feature because it doesn't work AT ALL.

Seriously, KeyShot developers. Why is it so hard to include a two sided material?

Is there anyone who knows how to create a two sided surface in KeyShot 7?

mattjgerard

Quote from: Stroopwafelandcoffee on January 15, 2018, 11:18:56 AM

Seriously, KeyShot developers. Why is it so hard to include a two sided material?

I usually don't assume that anything is easy in coding, especially in 3D.

Experimental means just that. There's a reason its hidden, it may not work as expected. No need to get snarky about it. Since youa re new to the forums you are probably not aware that the developers of KS are actually extremely active on this forum and extraordinarily helpful, more so than any other 3d app I've ever used.

If you stop and think about it, how is the 2 sided material supposed to work? How does it know what is the inside and outside? How about a plane, which has no thickness and therefore is described as only 2 dimensional?  Normals don't always cut it, they will point to the interior of a 3D object which is probably not what you are looking for if you are trying to texture a glass tumbler with thick walls.  Normals can be edited, yes, but in KS it is all or none, you will have to do that In a 3rd party app. Not a huge deal to a small group that knows how to edit normals, not so for the majority of users of KS.

All this to say this- Just because you THINK it should be easy, doesn't mean it is. I have enough coding experience to know that 1) never assume anything when it comes to programming as to how easy/hard it is 2) I would not be a good programmer. Just a different way of thinking for those people. Hats off to them.

Maybe some manners and appeal for help rather than the attitude will bring the help of not only the KS people but the multitudes of other helpful artists out there. As for me, I just lost any interest in looking into it.

RandomUninterestingName

I"m going back to Brazil for Rhino, two sided materials were no problem at all there, along with a multitude of other features KeyShot does not have either. Have a nice day sir.

mattjgerard

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Stroopwafelandcoffee on January 15, 2018, 11:18:56 AM

Hi Stroopwafelandcoffee,

Rather than assume what you're after is not possible, if you offer a brief description of what you're trying to achieve, somebody may be able to help. I've used the surface backside mask successfully, so maybe you've just got it set up incorrectly in the material graph for your scene? Are you able to share some details?