Main Menu

Drill Bit

Started by Ed, June 19, 2011, 03:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Modeled this drill bit today in MoI to use as a prop in a future scene.  Texture taken from a drill bit photo, copied three times, and each tweaked specifically for the point, shaft and interior.  Some post work with curves in PS.

trice1

neilr

Looks great but you might want to add a little more reflectivity on the inside of the groove...

guest84672

Is this just a texture map or are you using a bump map as well?

Ed

Thomas, I'm using a very fine brushed metal normal map in addition to the texture images.  Had a 1/2" well used drill in hand while playing with materials :)

Ed

feher

Ed,
Nice work on this, Some look at this and say it's only a drill bit. Only if they knew what it takes to get that material just right.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

Ed

Yeah Tim - sometimes the lone, common objects can be the hardest.  Some of the best renders I've seen are simple, everyday objects like paper clips, light bulbs, spark plugs, etc.  Once you start to study and model them, they become miniature works of art :)

Ed

Speedster

I so agree, Ed.  It's in the details, and the power of observation.  I've noticed with KS that I look at "real" things differently now, more in depth.  You've got the grinder marks on the tip (where's the back-rake?), and a hint of the form-grinding on the flutes, etc.  And, I've got a lot of drill bits out in the shop with exactly that color range, from pushing it too fast and too hard, without enough coolant.  Good job!
Bill G

Ed

Thanks Bill.  I'm slowly modeling objects for a jeweler's work bench scene.  Drills, tweezers, loupe, dial calipers, ring, lose diamonds - kinda like your granite plate machinist tool scene a while back.  About time I try something besides just rings.  Watch out - I like trains too :)

Ed

Speedster

Oh, oh.  We're gonna have to get together on this.  I'm modeling my fully tooled Peerless WW Watchmaker's lathe, a 1907 Potter Instrument Lathe, an engraver's block given to me by my mentor, the great (actually one of the greatest) hand engraver, the late Russ Daniels, made from 1/2 of a Civil War cannonball (!), gravers, the like.  Gotta have fun sometimes!  For whatever it's worth, I very pleased with my sales on TurboSquid so far.
Bill G