Selling Materials Question

Started by KTF45, May 02, 2018, 07:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTF45

Hello :)

I was just curious (and I didn't see anything about it beforehand), but if we wanted to potentially sell custom materials (let's say, on Gumroad or somewhere), are we able to use the textures provided within KeyShot for that purpose, or are they not available to be used in that way?

Thank you in advance!

TGS808

They'd have to be pretty special to warrant a price tag as KeyShot cloud has what seems to be hundreds if not thousands (of all types) of high quality KeyShot materials available for free.

Will Gibbons

Good question. I wouldn't advise selling anything you did not create yourself.

andy.engelkemier

If you are using textures that are included with keyshot, just don't include the textures. Your customers would already have the texture needed.

Also, I disagree with the idea of using materials from the cloud a bit. Most materials end up being very specific to a shape. One of my larger frustrations with Keyshot is actually how it handles UV mapping. Rather than the mapping be specific to each object, it's built in to the material. So say you have two cylinders imported as OBJ. They'll have perpendicular world space, so you're going to need to make two different materials if they are to have a texture on them.

I've just been trying to get in the habit of adding texture maps in Rhino (when I'm working there) ahead of time so I don't have to deal with Keyshot's mapping. Set them all to UV map and you're set. I don't like making a new material for every object with a different UV when it's the same material. When someone says they want something darker later, it's  pain in the rear to edit them all.

TGS808

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on May 17, 2018, 11:54:54 AM
Also, I disagree with the idea of using materials from the cloud a bit. Most materials end up being very specific to a shape. One of my larger frustrations with Keyshot is actually how it handles UV mapping. Rather than the mapping be specific to each object, it's built in to the material. So say you have two cylinders imported as OBJ. They'll have perpendicular world space, so you're going to need to make two different materials if they are to have a texture on them.

Not really sure how any of that pertains to using (or not using) a material from the cloud. If you bought a package of KeyShot materials that someone made to sell, you'd have the exact same issues (unless the materials were designed specially for your model which is pretty unlikely). My point is, the KeyShot cloud is full of free, well made materials. So, if someone is going to attempt to sell materials, they had better be pretty amazing and nothing at all like the ones you get with KeyShot or the ones you can get for free, at anytime from the cloud.