Cannot get transparent cap so I can view spray tip underneath

Started by wayoutwestmultimedia, May 14, 2018, 08:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayoutwestmultimedia

I've been trying for the past hour to find a solution for this online and here in the forums with no success.  I have a spray bottle that has a clear cap over the spray pump.  I apply a  clear shiny plastic on the cap but then the pump turns black.  I saw a video that talked abut "detailed indirect illumination" but could not find it anywhere in Keyshot 7.

Thanks.

Eric Summers

On your lighting tab, make sure Global Illumination is checked. Make sure you have enough bounces so there aren't any dark areas under the cap.

wayoutwestmultimedia

Thanks Eric, tried that but still same result. Adjusted per your suggestions.  Not sure what to do.  As a quick fix I exported one image without the cap, then one of just the cap and I'm going to just photoshop it on the model. Not ideal, but does the job till I can figure it out.

Eric Summers

Hmm, that's frustrating. Perhaps I should have led with asking if you've tried the Product lighting preset. I'm so accustomed to my custom lighting setup I completely forgot that 'Product' should do what you need. Also, in my previous post I meant to say make sure you have enough ray bounces.

wayoutwestmultimedia

Yeah I've adjusted the lighting to "product" and still black.  Now, I'm still relatively new to this whole 3D thing and keyshot but when you say rays do you mean in the actual model of the cap or a setting in keyshot?  I photoshop'd the image for now, but had to do several other renders of other products and now its becoming a pain.

Thanks!

DMerz III

Also related to the global illumination, how many INDIRECT ray bounces do you have? I think in order for GI to work properly, you need that set to at least 1. Might have to toggle the arrow down to see the setting.

jhiker

Can you post the package  - or at least the cap and cover so that others might try to find a solution?

wayoutwestmultimedia

Yes, I should have posted this to begin with.

Finema

Hi
Check Global Illumination in your Soft textured White material :)

wayoutwestmultimedia

Magic!!! That did it!! All this time I've been trying to edit the clear cap and not the nozzle itself. Thank you so much!!

Merci! Danke! Mahalo! Gracias!

Eric Summers

Quote from: Finema on May 17, 2018, 10:27:18 AM
Hi
Check Global Illumination in your Soft textured White material :)

I would've never guessed that. I could tell it had something to do with the material, but I don't use translucent materials much. I learned something too!  :)

wayoutwestmultimedia

So I took the same model that worked and when I imported it into another scene it was gigantic, so I reduced the scale to match the other products and now the nozzle is back to black and no settings are changing it.  UGH!

bdesign

Were the Scene Units (Edit > Set Scene Units) the same for both scenes before importing the cap? Also, perhaps you may need to adjust the Translucency value.

wayoutwestmultimedia

I'll have to check. Not sure what I did wrong but I've got about 20 products and I think they're all different sizes so sometimes when I import a finished product and I resize it the label stays small so I have to resize the labels. Kind of a pain.  I need to do more homework on making sure all the sizes are consistant across all my products.

I will definitely mess with translucency.