Zinc Chromate Conversion Coating

Started by Derek Heming, July 27, 2018, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek Heming

I've been using KeyShot for around a year, but I'm still pretty inexperienced when it comes to custom materials. I'm attempting to create the commonly used zinc chromate conversion coating. The color is effected by the thickness of the coating and it contains blue, yellow, gold, purple, and green. Right now I'm using the Anodized Titanium Rough Yellow with the Measured Zinc preset. I see that changing the Film Thickness yields all these colors.

Is there a way to interact with the Film Thickness property within the Material Graph? This is the blotchy, multicolored look I'm after:

mattjgerard

I'm following this to see how to come up with this materials. I have mostly been using one of the brass presets and adding imperfections to them, but to have a material like this would be fantastic.

soren

If you mean texturing the Film Thickness, then this is not currently possible. You are not the first to request this: It is on our list of items we may add in a near future release.

In the meantime, you can approximate it by creating two (or more) metals with different thicknesses and then use labels to show one or the other depending on an opacity texture. This will be much harder to control than a texture on Film Thickness but should be workable.

Søren