Crash when rendering to TIFF

Started by erlandsen, September 05, 2011, 12:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erlandsen

I'm having KeyShot crash a lot when trying to render to TIFF. It happens only to certain files, and I am trying to locate what triggers this. This is obviously a huge disruption of my workflow when certain models are impossible to render out to TIFF with Alpha channel.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

guest84672

Most likely you are running out of memory. What is your system setup?

erlandsen

I'm on a 2011 MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz i7 with 8 GB RAM.

Also, we are not talking very complex models here. Just a handful of parts.

What renders to TIFF and what crashes seems quite random. I'm still trying to figure out if there are any significant differences.

guest84672

One thing could be that you have an issues with write permissions. If KeyShot can't write the image into the target folder, it may crash.

lillusaur

I also get this "out of memory - expect crash" when rendering some files. Appears totally at random. I think the bug has increased in frequency since updating to version 2.3

guest84672

You are running out of memory - this is not a bug. How much memory do you have, how big are your files, and how big are your renderings?

lillusaur

I also guessed it is due to lack of memory, but neither the files nor the rendering resolution are very large. I have run ques of more complex jobs before, but for the last couple of weeks this crash has been more and more frequent. Maybe it is because of the update to 2.3?

guest84672

Nothing changed with 2.3, except a few importers. If can share the file, we can take a look. Send to support@luxion.com, please.

lillusaur

Sorry, but I can't share the file. I will try and change some settings though

guest84672

What are your settings, and what kind of materials are you rendering?

lillusaur

Take a look. Maybe I just need some new hardware

Chad Holton

Hi lillusaur,

New hardware wouldn't hurt..  :-X You may have 8 Gig of RAM installed but you must be running a 32 bit system as it's only recognizing 3.2 Gig. That being said, you shouldn't be running out of RAM though, but you might. You may want to keep an eye on it while rendering just to make sure that isn't the issue. The only other thing is that where you are saving these TIFs may be write protected; maybe do a quick test and have KeyShot save them to your desktop.

Chad

lillusaur

yes, I'm stuck on a 32-bit system sadly. :(

I'll check the write protection-thing.

BTW when the file crashes, the RAM-count in the render window is usually around 1.3 GB

KeyShot

Can you output to exr instead? The memory usage for exr does not increase when you render a high resolution image.

lillusaur