AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX - 455 FPS

Started by richardfunnell, April 26, 2019, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardfunnell

Got a new workstation yesterday, excited to have a much more powerful rig! Puget Systems helped spec this system out for KeyShot work, as well as being able to handle relatively heavy GPU based CAD/3D.

Camera Benchmark: 455 FPS

CPU          AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 3.0GHz 32 Core 250W
RAM          Crucial 32GB DDR4-2666 (4x8GB)
GPU          PNY Quadro P2000 PCI-E 5GB
Motherboard       Gigabyte X399 AORUS Xtreme

Great system, and great support from Puget. I ran into a few issues with the motherboard (as I think others have) but their team was able to troubleshoot & identify the problem.

Eugen Fetsch

This is what I see on my 2990WX.

mafrieger

@camomiles Do you see these results also after 10minutes+ of full load like richardfunnell? Or is it the turbo when everything is still cold?

Eugen Fetsch

Yes, I can see the same results after 10+ minutes. The FPS is between 495 - 517, but 70% of the time over 500 FPS.

mafrieger

thanks for detailing this!

so there may be some other differences with in your setups.

Some time a ago a wrote about possible impact factors like Keyshot version, OS and lots more.
If you are interested in, just have a look:
https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=22319.0

richardfunnell

Mine was giving me readings all over the place too, definitely hitting 500+ but not consistently. I haven't attempted to adjust clock speeds or any other settings, but I'm hopeful that some tweaking will help out :)

@mafrieger thanks for the link! yeah I'll have to push the setup a bit more and see where I land.

LM6

Hi Chaps...Ive just started working on a similar rig...2990

Iam getting 550-560fps when the cam scene first loads then if I dont touch anything it slowly drops to around 500fps
If I start moving the camera it boosts up to 1300fps or down to 430 depending on the angle and if the camera lens is in shot.

I would be interested to hear what cooling solution you are using, whats cpu temps your getting, what speed the cpu is running during the test and what your DB levels are like?

Cheers

Peter

DMerz III

:) Would also love to know your room's ambient temp when taking those readings.

Eugen Fetsch

Running a 2990WX and a Dual E5-2690v4 Xeon together, the only cooling solution I can recomend, is this mitsubishi divice over my head  ;D

Eugen Fetsch

Seriously:
We have "Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3" for the 2990WX. Didn't measure the noise level, but it is very silent. The biggest issue is the power supply. The "Dark Power Pro P11" makes far more noise than the CPU fan.

LM6

Quote from: camomiles on May 09, 2019, 11:13:56 PM
Seriously:
We have "Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3" for the 2990WX. Didn't measure the noise level, but it is very silent. The biggest issue is the power supply. The "Dark Power Pro P11" makes far more noise than the CPU fan.

Thanks for the info, so what CPU temps is that Noctua fan keeping the cpu at when rendering in Keyshot, iam surprised your saying its silent

I currently have a Wraith Ripper but I don't like it.

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: LM6 on May 10, 2019, 02:50:27 AM
Thanks for the info, so what CPU temps is that Noctua fan keeping the cpu at when rendering in Keyshot, iam surprised your saying its silent

Between 65-67 °C

LM6

Quote from: camomiles on May 10, 2019, 02:53:19 AM

Between 65-67 °C

Yes,  I have the same temps, going to try a Noctua CPU cooler next week.

Thanks again  :)

LM6

Quote from: camomiles on May 10, 2019, 02:53:19 AM

Between 65-67 °C

Sorry I forgot to ask, what is your CPU temp when idle?

Eugen Fetsch

I'll check next week, when back in the office.