[RESOLVED] How to change the axis movement?

Started by brahmzxc, June 04, 2019, 05:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brahmzxc

This is the screenshot of the animation that i'm trying to achieve. I need this object to be translated in diagonal axis( denoted by Red Line ). I have tried both local and global axis.

Eugen Fetsch

Did you try to select the "Local" coordinates in the prompt?

mattjgerard

Use the PICK option in the floaty pallet and pick an object that does have the axis pointing the way you want, and it will use that axis to rotate your selection. I do this all the time. Sometimes I have to put in my own proxy object (cylinder or something) manually align it the way I need the axis then use that objects' axis to rotate my group or object.

INNEO_MWo

I am sure that your geometry does not support local coordinates, like typically Rhino files do, when you don't work with blocks. So the solution (as already mentioned) is to use a separate hidden object, that works as a pivot. You can use a simple cube from the "add geometry " menu.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

brahmzxc

ok i will try with surrogate objects.

brahmzxc

Hey, thanks for your suggestions but I need to animate with translation which doesn't allows me to select the pivot for any other object in accordance to the object I want to translate.

INNEO_MWo

That is to sad! So math would help to get the right values from projecting the "local movement" to the global axis.

Good calc!

Cheers
Marco

brahmzxc

Ya and i have figured out the right values by applying 3 translations on different axis.  ;D

INNEO_MWo

Maybe you can use a modelling tool and build a path and then measure both endpoints projected to the global coordinate system?!

Cheers
Marco

brahmzxc

Sorry, I didn't get you can you share more information or a video link or something.

INNEO_MWo

OK - the last sentence was written compact.

Well, in this example I sketched a straight line with a length of 500 mm tilted in 50° on a 30° rotated plane. Then measured the distance of both endpoints and projected the values to the coordinate system on the lower endpoint. Now I would use these delta values for the animation in KeyShot.

(the measurement was made in CAD tool creo parametric 6.0 - but this is a basic feature that every modelling tool should provide more or less)

This is a long way. And some values can easily be calculated with simple math.

Hope that helps
Cheers

Marco

brahmzxc

ok I got your point, will surely try this out.
Thanks for sharing your valuable knowledge.

Cheers
Brahmzxc

mattjgerard

Or group your objects with the native KS geometry and see if it will read the axis of the proxy object instead of the imported geometry.

INNEO_MWo

that is a nice trick, Matt! It works very well.

brahmzxc