dark theme interface doesn't work with medium blue interface elements (wcag)

Started by keiichi77, October 03, 2019, 12:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keiichi77

Please do something with the dark interface, it doesn't work with the standard blue icons and ui elements.
It doesn't conform wcag 2.0, some elements aren't visible at all.

eg. the dotted lines in scene manager barely visible.
icons are barely visible too, you just compute it with visual iq, but they are not visible.
you cannot see medium/dark blue on dark grey.

TGS808

I don't have a problem seeing any of those things you mentioned. The dark theme with the blue is just fine for me. If you're having a problem, it would seem the easy solution would be for you to use the light theme rather than to have them redesign the interface just for you.

mattjgerard

Or check your monitor calibration. I used to love the adobe dark themes, but when I started my new job the monitors that they had for me (business class samsungs) just couldn't pull it off. Got a dell and a color calibrator and now I'm back to using dark themes all over the place. Too much white and bright tires my eyes out.

keiichi77

'just for you'
;D
Wcag is a contrast standard for interface elements and texts.

Adobe dark theme conforms to wcag standard.

TGS808

Quote from: keiichi77 on October 04, 2019, 08:29:48 AM
'just for you'
;D

Adobe dark theme conform to wcag standard.

Though it may be, I've never seen anyone else here ask for this. Hence the "just for you".

keiichi77

My original post is a recommendation, because in my main job I create content where I must conform to wcag 2.0, hence the idea to share with Keyshot. I don't mean to be selfish. The blue with dark grey doesn't go through AA level, fail in color differency check, it fails every check. and yes, dotted line (when drag'n'drop parts in the scene browser) is almost invisible, dark blue on dark grey.

mattjgerard

Quote from: keiichi77 on October 04, 2019, 08:29:48 AM
'just for you'
;D

Adobe dark theme conforms to wcag standard.

Yep, I'm familiar with it, and that's how I knew to check my monitor calibration. If your calibration is in check then yeah, its a problem. I love working in dark themes. The contrast is so much better for my eyes.

keiichi77

if anyone has this difficulty with contrast, a  solution:

you can reach experimental features by modifying KS8Settings.xml.
search the line:
<experimental_features bool="false"/>
set false to true

open Keyshot8, now in the Window menu you will find the Stylesheet Editor.

you can modify the rgba code to a visible one instead of dark blue (#0066ff).

(below it is an already modified light blue color for the scene tree view drop marker dotted line)

KSceneTreeView {
  qproperty-dropMarkerColor: rgba(90, 255, 252, 100); /* 5AFFFD*/
}

mattjgerard

Nice find! Thanks for posting this, made the change and you are correct, it is much more visible!