Fine Jewelry Realism - give me your feedback! Be critical please

Started by Spydabizkit, October 08, 2019, 06:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spydabizkit

A couple more images from some projects I've been rendering lately.  I should start dumping these regularly to speak up some conversation.

Let me know your thoughts!

Chad Holton

Looks great! My favorite is 97FDE597-A23D-4401-81F5-29F390F3429C.png. What modeling software are you using to create these? Did you use any extra passes to generate the final or is it straight out of KeyShot?

Spydabizkit

Thanks Chad,

I'm using Matrix 9 to model these.  Besides the first image, all of these are straight out of Keyshot with no other editing. 

Spydabizkit

This is an example of one I edited after in photoshop

Spydabizkit

Backdrops are easy to work with though if you use the photographic image mode in Keyshot.  This one is Keyshot only too.  No photoshop.

Adarsh_Pal

amazing renderings, really love the detailings in all models and materials

sleby

Not really a fan of jewelry renderings but I have to admit these are gorgeous!! I especially like the last one in the first post!

jogeshocp

Pouya Hosseinzadeh

These looks really, really nice. Loving the mood and the composition of the last two shots. Just perfect.

Spydabizkit

Thanks so much everyone.  One thing I find difficult is to find images or backgrounds that make sense for use in keyshot. 

There is still so much to learn too.  Everyone on this forum is so helpful and the wealth of knowledge within these forum pages are insane!

NM-92

Nice ! I always prefer the in-context images even though i know it isn't the best way to go in most of the cases. But i can't help to tell a story in every image.

Speedster

Really beautiful work!

My favorite trick for a ground is to use a plane created in native CAD, not the KeyShot plane, with the underside mapped in one color and the part itself in another.  Then, in KeyShot, apply say "chrome" to the underside, and "frosted glass" to the part.

Then you can tweak the ground to suite.  Of course you can use any combination of materials for different effects.

See attached...  for this I used a "pebble" bump map.

Bill G

NM-92

Quote from: Speedster on October 11, 2019, 01:30:44 PM
Really beautiful work!

My favorite trick for a ground is to use a plane created in native CAD, not the KeyShot plane, with the underside mapped in one color and the part itself in another.  Then, in KeyShot, apply say "chrome" to the underside, and "frosted glass" to the part.

Then you can tweak the ground to suite.  Of course you can use any combination of materials for different effects.

See attached...  for this I used a "pebble" bump map.

Bill G

Hey Bill ! I remember hearing this technique before. What are the benefits of the dual planes when compared to, for example, a single plane with a chrome material and the pebble map ?

Speedster

I like the dual surface ground plane as it allows me to apply chrome, brass, etc. to the underside, and then frosted glass to the top side.  Then you can tweak the glass roughness to vary the reflective and shadow qualities.  Below is an example using gold underside and frosted glass with just a tad of a wavy bump.

Of course you can also add a bump to the top side material, which can be whatever you want, including glass, my favorites being pebble and wavy.

Bill G

Spydabizkit

Quote from: Speedster on October 13, 2019, 09:07:51 AM
I like the dual surface ground plane as it allows me to apply chrome, brass, etc. to the underside, and then frosted glass to the top side.  Then you can tweak the glass roughness to vary the reflective and shadow qualities.  Below is an example using gold underside and frosted glass with just a tad of a wavy bump.

Of course you can also add a bump to the top side material, which can be whatever you want, including glass, my favorites being pebble and wavy.

Bill G

Nice!  I will have to try that, and mess with a couple of settings.  I am curious as to if the same look can be achieved with a "Multi-Material" created in the material graph.  Something with a clear coat, or translucent coat with bump applied.  You can definitely go down the material graph wormhole and come up with some interesting materials.  Your renders look great.  I think I actually downloaded a physical light scene from you at some point, but haven't got around to mess with it too much.  I'll have to open it up and play around with it.  Thanks for the tips  ;)