Ks9 future requests

Started by syrom, November 06, 2019, 07:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syrom

Would be very nice is you guys implemented out of core memory management like Redshift. I'm playing with the ks9 demo and my poor PC just gives me not enough memory for most of my renders. And yeah... I know 2 gigs of vram is small but other renders have no issues rendering over 95% of my heavy poly models. KS9 runs out even on my smaller models.

My other request would be to have strength slider for the denoiser. Currently it butcher's my fine detail that I work hard to get on some models.

Otherwise everything else seems to be working well, good job!

Eric Summers

To your second request, there is a strength slider for the Denoise. I'm going off of memory from the beta as I haven't upgraded yet, but I believe it is in the Image tab.

mattjgerard

They have heard the feedback from the beta team about the noise reduction obliterating fine detail (from me) and that the strength slider is really just an opacity slider of the noise reduction layer. They are working on a way to fine tune the denoiser, but nothing viable for release yet.

sloanelliot

I'll second that.. It pretty much just blurs/softens your entire scene. I will say, it works astronomically better for high-resolution shots, but honestly, the tried-and-true masked "Dust & Scratches" layer in Photoshop still seems like a superior option for detail control. I'm excited to see if KS can improve this one, though. It would definitely be better if it used a Threshold approach vs. Opacity, or even better: both.

syrom

Man, out of core memory would make KEYSHOT a amazing contender. From my experience so far, I have to upgrade my hardware or not use gpu rendering.

And yeah.... seriously look into the denoiser. It kills my detail.

syrom

Quote from: Eric Summers on November 06, 2019, 07:38:05 AM
To your second request, there is a strength slider for the Denoise. I'm going off of memory from the beta as I haven't upgraded yet, but I believe it is in the Image tab.

Didn't see that! So did a few test renders and dropping it to like .6seems to help a little. But it does stay to get weak in despising and fine detail starts to get sacrificed. It's not terrible I guess.... but would be n8ce to get it squared away.  And honestly, playing with other denoiser like OptiX and the Intel one, I don't think any denoiser can be 100 great.

syrom

Quote from: sloanelliot on November 06, 2019, 09:13:00 AM
I'll second that.. It pretty much just blurs/softens your entire scene. I will say, it works astronomically better for high-resolution shots, but honestly, the tried-and-true masked "Dust & Scratches" layer in Photoshop still seems like a superior option for detail control. I'm excited to see if KS can improve this one, though. It would definitely be better if it used a Threshold approach vs. Opacity, or even better: both.

Yep... I think post work would be better atm.

syrom

Here's another issue I ran into... but suspect it's my 940M gpu. Too old. But keyshot becomes very sluggish when activating gpu. Unlike the gpu has to cycle through its steps in order to receive inputs. Night he a code thing. I have used Fstorm, oxyane and redshift . They are all pretty speedy. But to be fair, I'm using them through their plugins for 3ds. Keyshot is it's own package so I would imagine it's very different on how it uses the work load.

syrom

Ahh... looks like ks9 is not for my mobile setup. Just not enough power I think. Here's a 60 second render of my scene with no textures. 121 is cpu and 122 is gpu. Both given 60 seconds to work. I get better performance with my i7 cpu. Also... no denoiser.

mattjgerard

That's going to be pretty common for people like me that have invested a lot of money in CPU's and nothing into GPU's. GPU rendering is great, but my money is already tapped into a 64 thread machine. I don't see the point of upping my GPU card while I am running at 450+fps already. The denoiser is doing more for speeding up my renders than any GPU could.

menizzi

Can not render out of memory lol. I have a 2080 and a 6.3gb scene(just to view it) so out of memory is going to be a must later on. I like the gpu but even at 15000 samples i still see noise. It will get better over the next year I am sure.

syrom

Quote from: mattjgerard on November 06, 2019, 11:43:41 AM
That's going to be pretty common for people like me that have invested a lot of money in CPU's and nothing into GPU's. GPU rendering is great, but my money is already tapped into a 64 thread machine. I don't see the point of upping my GPU card while I am running at 450+fps already. The denoiser is doing more for speeding up my renders than any GPU could.

Yep... given this some thoughts before the gpu movement happened. Was about to upgrade my my laptop to a heavy duty multi cpu machine and thought " what if gpu is the new method for the future ?". So I held back and kept my main laptop. Now so many render a are going gpu but non are perfect. Lots of memory issues. Redshift so far has been good to me. While octane is pretty darn fast. Keyshot had it's own unique place though. Was hoping ks9 would work for me but its still far off for people who haven't invested in powerful and load cram cards. Can you  believe in still rendering on a 940M Mobile gpu card? Lol. Only 2gigs or cram but I've pushed out some nice persnal renders. I really hope KS9 considers out of core memory management. Then I might dive and buy it. I'll wait a year I guess.

syrom

Quote from: menizzi on November 06, 2019, 12:26:57 PM
Can not render out of memory lol. I have a 2080 and a 6.3gb scene(just to view it) so out of memory is going to be a must later on. I like the gpu but even at 15000 samples i still see noise. It will get better over the next year I am sure.

Look at my screen shots. It weird that my i7 cpu is faster than my 940m gpu. But it's a old gpu. I think Ks9 is not optimized for old cards. I had the same problem when I was testing Maverick Render when it was still very beta... my GPU was horrendously slow.

mattjgerard

Quote from: syrom on November 06, 2019, 01:23:28 PM

Look at my screen shots. It weird that my i7 cpu is faster than my 940m gpu. But it's a old gpu. I think Ks9 is not optimized for old cards. I had the same problem when I was testing Maverick Render when it was still very beta... my GPU was horrendously slow.

It is in fact not optimized for old cards. The GTX980 I have is elderly in GPU years, and is near the bottom of list. I don't expect them to support 5 year old cards. New ones are pretty cheap for the performance, although in laptops that might not be to easy. You could look into an egpu box and load it with a fancy card.

syrom

Quote from: mattjgerard on November 06, 2019, 01:58:12 PM
Quote from: syrom on November 06, 2019, 01:23:28 PM

It is in fact not optimized for old cards. The GTX980 I have is elderly in GPU years, and is near the bottom of list. I don't expect them to support 5 year old cards. New ones are pretty cheap for the performance, although in laptops that might not be to easy. You could look into an egpu box and load it with a fancy card.

Yeah... I'm sure that it. Well... we wait I guess.