Author Topic: GPU and CPU rendering - COMPLETELY different.  (Read 880 times)

Offline hve

Re: GPU and CPU rendering - COMPLETELY different.
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2022, 07:01:22 am »
I did some more tests this times with caustics (something I don't use that much) but I must admit that indeed there's quite a bit of difference in both renders

Offline ivuzem

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2022, 10:35:06 pm »
I'm in jewellery rendering, and I use caustics all the time. At least I try. And I have also noticed a big difference in caustics on GPU/CPU... Also, Spotlight color map seems to have different positions on GPU vs CPU. I'm thinking it is the similar problem as with caustics, it seems like the HDRI position is different, so that is why we're getting different caustics results.

Offline hve

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2022, 02:30:43 pm »
Not sure if this is of any help but I noticed that it's especially an issue with some floor materials in this examples, not all materials have the above issue

Offline Will Gibbons

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2022, 07:17:08 am »
Not sure if this is of any help but I noticed that it's especially an issue with some floor materials in this examples, not all materials have the above issue

Good point. I think this is part of the issue unfortunately. It's the unpredictability that can be problematic. It's a bit easier when the rules are quite rigid, but when there are some things that work and some that don't... it's hard to keep track of what can be relied on and what can't be.

Offline hve

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2022, 02:48:33 am »
Good point. I think this is part of the issue unfortunately. It's the unpredictability that can be problematic. It's a bit easier when the rules are quite rigid, but when there are some things that work and some that don't... it's hard to keep track of what can be relied on and what can't be.

yes indeed Will, now I know of the problem I try to compare more between both renders and there's definitely something going on that's strange