Diamonds & Gemstones

Started by Ed, February 16, 2012, 01:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I made this animation as a proof-of-concept for an upcoming project.  Modeled in MoI, animated in KeyShot, post in After Effects. 

A couple of AE post effects to note are the depth of field and the glints:

I used a lens blur map and you can see the stones come into focus as they rotate to the front.

I created ten, what I call, "Glint Engines" for the stones.  There is a mix of white & rainbow glints, as well as internal flares.  The black spinel is opaque and does not give off a glint.  Each glint engine's settings can be varied in terms of size, color, intensity, frequency, and degree of randomness.

Below is the video and a frame showing the treatments in After Effects on the left, and the KeyShot raw footage on the right.

A larger format video is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/cascadiadesign?feature=watch

Ed

guest84672

Chad Holton

fario

omg

magnifique!

how do you do in this KeyShot for: fire in the diamond, and these beautiful lights coming out of the diamond?

Please  ::)

Antoine

guest84672

The "fire" is a result of your lighting environment, and the Abbe value. The accurate value is 55, but sometimes you may want to lower it to give it more "fire".

feher

Ed,
I think this is very professional looking. Like the depth of field effect. The sparkles I feel are a little too much.  Less is more.
I like that effect I just feel it's happening too much.
At any case this is a keeper in my book.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

Ed

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I've posted rev 2 of the animation video below and a larger format video is also here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cascadiadesign

I added a mask to block the After Effects sparkles from the rear stones that are out of focus, as it was a bit of a distraction.

I watched a few YouTube videos of real footage of loose diamond close-ups, and they really put out a lot of continuous fire, sparkle and glint.   My settings are dialed back from what I'm seeing in the real footage.  But I can program my AE "glint engines" for anything from very subtle to a full on fireworks show :) 

Ed