Sharing/selling materials and making use of a material ball.

Started by EdwinKlijn, May 25, 2010, 12:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdwinKlijn

Hi Thomas,
i'm thinking about uploading some materials. To keep a nice overview I created an object to show of the materials (the famous 'material ball' or what's it called? ;-)) Is it ok to use this? It does feature the keyshot logo so i can imagine you want to have a say in it.

Also, i might release some more advanced materials for a small fee. Is it okay to use this 'ball'?
And will materials from Keyshot v1 work in V2?

Here are some examples. The materials shown are from Keyshot.

Kind regards
Edwin

Sam

maybe, if you make this 'ball' common, so everyone can post materials to the forum, that could be nice... :-)

EdwinKlijn

Hi Sam,
i can/will upload the bin-file as soon as Thomas approves the model.

gegroet ;-)

Victor A

Great Idea to share materials. A website where you could this (upload/download) would be really the best.
Thanks/Dankje
Victor

guest84672

I LOVE what you have done. Very cool. The only comment I have - we reviewed here in the office - the logo maybe a bit much - maybe use it to make a cut out instead and keep the center diffuse? Also, the "lines" of the logo are a bit wavy.

I am open to suggestions!

Having an actual share site is the goal, but for now we can post those here. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!! This is great!!

Thomas

JTrusty

I kid you not, I just started doing this just yesterday. I fired up Solidworks and modeled the Maxwell ball. Then proceeded to build my own material libraries with previews.  :)

JTrusty

Alright, here's my official entry for the geometry.  ;)

Obviously all diffuse for the purpose of highlighting the geometry only.

For the record, we are going to need a subsurface embeded in the model as well ( assuming we are going to be getting subsurface scattering at some point ).

Sam

guest84672

Looking great - good point - you need a subsurface embedded for transparent materials.

JTrusty

I finalized my material preview geometry & bip file. The scene is pretty ideal. It uses the default hdr file with environment turned off and a white background field. The diffuse material is set to 50% grey ( 128, 128, 128 rgb value ) and to accent the logo and text I upped the value a hair.

Here are a couple of my updated polished wood materials in the preview scene.

:)

EdwinKlijn

Hi all,
the logo is a bit off indeed. I only needed a quick reference to spot Keyshot mats between all the other ones.

@Thomas, I guess JTrusty's is the idea you have in mind? (saves me from redesigning mine  ;)

@JTrusty, looking good! I wouldn't go for a 100% white background though. Especially when using transparant materials, you'll loose some details around the edges when using the default HDR.

Edwin

JTrusty

Edwin

QuoteJTrusty, looking good!

Thanks brother!  :)

QuoteI wouldn't go for a 100% white background though. Especially when using transparant materials, you'll loose some details around the edges when using the default HDR.

Actually, I just finished modeling in the subsurface disc and I added a physical ground place for the base grid. Rendering a sample now. Will post once its finished.

Chad Holton

They all look great. Although, I'm kinda in favor of the triangular cutout version (JTrusy's first model). Seems to have more variety of surfaces when previewing....

guest84672

@cholton - The triangular cutout is to "maxwell-ish".

@jtrusty - the light hitting the surface on the bottom may be a bit too hot. Either rotate the environment, or change the height or something. But it looks great. BTW - have you tried and used the wood texture as a bump map? If not, give it a try! No more leather on the machine gun to get a cast iron look ;-).

Brian will upload the KeyShot icon in eps for for you. He liked the logo bigger. But he will tell you that in a sec.