Main Menu

dirty

Started by fario, October 17, 2012, 12:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fario

a filter for dirty ... images that are too clean.

Or, what filter should I use for this with Photoshop?

thank you.

fario

but ... I'm alone in thinking that the graphics are too ... clean?

:)

I know it may seem arrogant to propose a filter "messy" for our scenes.

But ... it is not always beautiful ... outside ... sometimes it ... raining!
?

PhilippeV8

You are very right.  I often get a request to render out a part, even though they have one straight out of production ...  Why not take the photo ?  Because a KS render is much cleaner.
Real parts have sinkmarks, ragged edges, skratches, ...

But on the other hand .. that's what often makes a render look like a render.  And to take your render from render to photo-real, you often need to add some imperfections here and there.  That's mostly done in post.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to add some dirt label png's and some skratch bumpmaps to the next release of KS tho.

guest84672

We have a scratch texture in the textures folder today. And what do you mean by a "dirt" label? What kind of dirt? Where should we even start.

I am actually not sure what is meant by "filter for dirty". Adding grain?

Please explain what you are looking for.

PhilippeV8

By "dirt label", I was thinking of a png or overlay texture which is mostly transparrent but adds like e.g. dried up rain drops (like on window glass) .. wet rain drops .. dust ... mud ... etc.
I don't know ... I was just thinking out "loud"  :)

PhilippeV8

I know "dirt" is relative and a term that contains millions of options ...

Just found this ... looks cool:

http://www.gibbageart.com/files/stalker/apc_vray_dirt.jpg

DriesV

Ah yes, I have seen this before...

This would definitely be a nice feature to have to quickly add depth and 'age' to our rendered object (mind you, after passing through Photoshop).
Sometimes it is hard to not let objects appear brand spanking new.

fario

merci philippe :)

in fact, it would, as the blur tool Keyshot, filter imperfections.

fario

it would be nice to show an example of a car body.

and show the difference between an extra-bright car, and another slightly soiled EVERYWHERE

fario

the best would be:

a filter:
after rain
after the snow ...
after the sludge
after armagedon ... :)
after a flight of migratory birds ...  ;D ;D ;D

guest84672

Sounds like this is something you can do and then share ;-)

Despot

This is my favourite subject - I'll post some of my examples of clean and dirty tomorrow...

Cheers J

Despot

Iv'e quickly knocked up a few examples of distressed, grungy looks as opposed to squeaky clean ones....

Unfortunately at this point KeyShot doesn't support Displacement of any sort so you've either got to model imperfections (difficult and time consuming) or just use
what's available within the program itself which is the diffuse, specular and bump channels

The red example is probably the more subtle of the four and demonstrates what PhillipeV8 mentioned about overlayable transparent .PNG's - the other ones are quite heavily distressed

Cheers

J

Despot

Here are 3 more, i was going to do a tutorial, but it looks like this thread is now dead  :-\

I can't understand this forum sometimes...

guest84672

Looks great - not sure what you mean by "this thread is dead".