Main Menu

ECO radiator flow

Started by DriesV, October 29, 2012, 03:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Hi,

I made these shots for a presentation about the internal water flow in our ECO range radiators.
Flow on the feed (hot water) is red, flow on the return ('cold' water) is dark blue. Flow from inlet to outlet shifts color from red over green to blue, indicating a temperature drop over the radiator.

I 'enhanced' these images further to have a vibrant blue background. I also added vignetting and glow around the edges. All these things were done in PS.

greetings,
Dries

guest84672

Thanks for sharing I love the idea of "3D graphic".

Speedster

Neat approach, and quite effective!  Maybe a section color that is not conflicting with the flow indications?  Also, at least on my EIZO color-calibrated monitor, the reds are quite magenta, bordering on pink.
Bill G

DriesV

Bill,

The section-reds are supposed to be magenta-ish.  ;D
I agree on the section color fighting a bit too much with the red flow indicators. I tried all sorts of colors for the section, but in the end I decided to settle with a bright pinkish tone to really let the sections pop.

Dries

PhilippeV8

Why not make them rough aluminium ?  Do the section faces have to have color ??
I tend to use aluminium with a linear grain on section faces.  (look like they were cut off with a saw)

Technical question: on your first render, I notice there's like a round chamber in the return water chanel where the feed chanel passes trough ... why is that ?

DriesV

Something that I tried today.

Kudos to Tiho Ramovic for inspiration about cutaway views.

Dries

Speedster

Oh ya!  Very effective and clever.  Kind of "X-ray", which I often use for demo models.  Good job!
Bill G

DriesV

I found that the influence of valve and air vent on water flow wasn't too clear on my original images.
Using the flat material in KeyShot and after some compositing in Photoshop I was able to produce these images.
They show much clearer how water flow is regulated by these components.

Dries

guest84672

Dumb question - why isn't the water flow made blue? ;-) Excellent images, btw.

DriesV

The colors are indicative of the proportional drop in temperature. ;)
Of course straight across the valve the drop shouldn't be as pronounced as in that image, but you get the point!

Dries

guest84672

Imz

Nice work.

Are you familiar with Inomoto's work? I find new inspiration in his (hand) illustrations all the time.

DriesV

Yeah, the guys over at Kevin Hulsey Illustration are constantly pushing the envelope.

Dries

DriesV

A new x-rayesque experiment...

It has hit me that these sort of images can be very useful in explaining to less-than-stellar-tech-savvy people the working principles of our products.
These images do need a lot of editing in Photoshop, but KeyShot is the prefect tool to get the HQ images to start with.

Dries

guest84672