Converting keyshot camera and object info into real world measurements

Started by zschueller, December 12, 2012, 12:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zschueller

Hello,

I am trying to convert keyshot camera and objects data into duplicatable measurements in ft and in. I attached screen shots of all of my camera settings and all of my object positions. Basically I used keyshot to determine the desired camera position for a real world product shot. The products are unavailable until the day of the shoot and this could be a very useful pre-visulization tool if I can duplicate it. There are three objects in the scene and what I am trying to figure out is the distance from camera to each object and the the physical camera height from the ground. Can anyone help?????? It would be amazing if keyshot added an export real world measurements feature that could be given to photographers to either match a scene or even match camera angle when shooting background plates.

Thanks All.

NDenekamp

I realise this is quite an old topic, but I find the idea of setting up and recording camera positions for concept to be replicated in real life later intriguing.

In KeyShot camera positions are define in relation to the 'look at' point, which I presume would lie in the geometric centre of the object (bounding box) you specify as such.

Next I assume the setting can be interpreted as follows:

Dolly: value in modeling units from look at point
Azimuth: angle in degrees (from model x axis?
Inclination: angle in degrees to ground plane
Twist: angle in degree in relation to camera axis

The focal length is an easy one, althougth you'll probably do good sticking with fairly standard focal lengths (21, 24, 28, 35, 50, 80 .... etc.)

Also for the camera, in addition to the spherical settings listed above - you can see the absolute coordinates, which I don't know if they relate to the look-at point or the global axis (centre of HDRI environment)

You will need to ensure you have the model units set correctly both in CAD and in KeyShot (Edit > Set model units), and that the geometry you are importing is modeled at the correct scale and with accurate dimensions. I see in the case of the OP, the imported geometry was scaled, and to different extent for the objects in the scene. so that would need some additional converting to get it right proportionally to the KeyShot camera settings.

The question is if you'll find a photographer willing to deal with these kind of instructions  ;)

saman

Hello =) it is interesting =)
you could create some helper objects in another 3d applications like max, maya or sketchup. I mean you could create 100mm box or and 1700-1800h (average human eye point). Then you could import in to the keyshot, paint them and use =))
something like that  :) i know, it is a stupid way, but it is fun at least!
:) ;)