KeyShot 4 Materials

Started by Chad Holton, January 29, 2013, 11:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Holton

Hey Keyshooters!

We are going through materials in the newest version and would like your help/feedback. If there's a common material you'd like to see, that doesn't exist in KeyShot 3 now, let me know. The goal is to have a nice material starting point for users to build upon.

Also, if any of you have material(s) that you think would benefit others and would like to share, please send to me: chad@luxion.com or post here. I'm going through the post now and see some real nice ones that have been shared already.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Chad

jhiker

How about a folder for some common engineering plastics - PTFE/PEEK/Acetal/Nylon66/Acrylic/Tufnol, etc

fario

thank you for this initiative!

I would really like this material: white industrial ceramic

Chad Holton

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

Speedster

And "cloth"!  Various fabrics, upholstery fabrics, blue jean, the typical stuff.  "Machined Metals", turned, milled, faced.  And, of course, my favorite- "Rust"!
Bill G

jasonclarke

With you all the way Speedster. Machined surfaces, various screw threads etc

Chad Holton

Noted guys - Thanks. Oh yes, Bill.. I'll try and sneak some rusty material in there for ya!  :D

DriesV

Yes! High quality plastics and machined finish materials would be SO great.

Since KS4 is pretty much defaulting to 'original size' imports (so all newly imported geometry is the same scale), it makes sense to have a library of real-world scaled materials. So that when you apply a material to f.i. a 100 cc cube the wood grain, stains, scratches... and what not, would exactly look like those on a 100 cc cube of that same material/finish in the real world.

Does that make any sense? ::)

Dries

guest84672

Thanks for the feedback, but what is "the typical stuff" when it comes to fabrics?

jjeconomaki

KeyShot

Hi Dries,

KeyShot 4 will understand scale at the material level as well. We are updating the material library to reflect this.
The Mold Tech materials already works with scale.

-- Henrik

Chad Holton

Ok, Bill - What do you think.. too rusty or not enough?

Speedster

More rust!  That's what the Tool Guy would say!  Need several, like really coarse and gnarly, and some light surface rust.
bill g

br3ttman

Soft, pliable materials:  more types of rubber, latex, santoprene, and foams.

Also, as others have requested in the past, it'd be nice to have something like cloud-based library to post and share our custom materials, textures, backplates and HDRI's along with user ratings.

br3ttman

Quote from: KeyShot on January 30, 2013, 12:36:24 PM
Hi Dries,

KeyShot 4 will understand scale at the material level as well. We are updating the material library to reflect this.
The Mold Tech materials already works with scale.

-- Henrik

Are there Mold Tech textures as part of KeyShot 4. Those would be terrific!