big size image. Memory crash

Started by simonin, February 08, 2013, 12:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonin

Hello
With KEYSHOT 2.3 pro,I try to produce a big definition picture,to print a poster :170 cm  *  120 cm  whith 72 dpi. Calculation stop at 20 %: "memory crash". Is iet a software problem ?  How to proceed ?

Regards

Bonjour

Avec KEYSHOT 2.3 pro,je souhaite faire une image de grande taille,pour imprimer une affiche:  170 cm *  120 cm avec au moins 72 dpi .  Le calcul s

PhilippeV8

Which OS are u using ?

I'm on Windows XP 32bit and the max render size I can do is something like 4000x4000pix, depending on how much space the open project and KS take in.
XP has memory limit way to small.

KeyShot

If you use exr output then you can render any image size.

Also, KeyShot 4 (coming very soon) will have some improvements when rendering very large images.

DriesV

Quote from: KeyShot on February 08, 2013, 09:51:44 AM
If you use exr output then you can render any image size.

Also, KeyShot 4 (coming very soon) will have some improvements when rendering very large images.

Doesn't higher resolution rendering still require more memory?
I always thought that was the case. ???

Dries

guest84672

Exr will write to disk once memory fills up.

PhilippeV8

I must check into that again, but I remember trying that in the past, and since I'm not using it now ... must be a reason why ..

PhilippeV8

guest84672

When is this crash occurring? Right at the beginning of the rendering?

PhilippeV8

guest84672

Maybe you are out of memory before you start the rendering?

PhilippeV8

I'm still on silly Windows XP 32 bit and running dangerously close to the limit or sometimes over.

I'm quite sure I could get it to work without a crash if I disable the alpha chanel .. but I need it.

guest84672

or with smaller models ...

What I think is happening is that you are at the limit and there is no room left to even start writing out the image.

Time for an upgrade!

PhilippeV8

It's time for many upgrades ... and so it has been for +2j ...

I need KS3 upgraded.
I need KS4 installed.
We have an Adobe pack with FL/PS/IL/.../Premiere .. CS5.5 or so ... stored somewhere .. cuz they can not install it on a WinXP computer.  But we DO have a license for it !  ::)
I've got a 64bit workstation that runs 32bit OS
I've got multiple gigs of ram, but can only use 1 / application (thnx WinXP)

I am slowly growing numb of frustration of all those crashes  :-\

guest84672

Can you try and turn off "effects"? I just talked to Henrik about it and he is convinced that this will fix it.

PhilippeV8

You mean under "Preferences/Advanced/Advanced/Graphics effects" ?

I'll try that.

(What does it do ?)