Main Menu

A Nice Cold Beer!

Started by JimmyToTheBe, February 10, 2013, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyToTheBe

Everyone deserves a nice cold beer! Just a a personal project to keep up the practise while in New Zealand. Currently in Napier and I was influenced by the Art Deco Architecture, for the graphics.

It would nicer If I could get help with perhaps adding some cold water droplets on the outside of the bottle?

Enjoy

PhilippeV8

Here's what pops in my head: looks more like vodka than beer ... and if you read fast you read "deco bleech, taste of glass", which would make me not buy it twice  :P

Nice renders tho  ;)

youknowwho4eva

It looks like your beer and your class sit face to face. So if you retract the beer just a tad, it should fix the issue of it not looking like beer.

JimmyToTheBe

Ok ill give that a go. We are talking about the 'Beer' section inside the model arent we?

Any help with the water droplets/cold glass effect?

DriesV

Quote from: JimmyB_N on February 11, 2013, 04:59:53 PM
Any help with the water droplets/cold glass effect?

I recently tried this.
Quote from: DriesV on February 04, 2013, 03:40:29 PM
Upping the ante a bit.
I decided to go for a sort of "high-end marketing look". With all the tasty droplets and condensation to go with it. ;)
Condensation is all KeyShot work.

P.S.: I'm willing to compile a little howto on model preparation (CAD/modeling app side), material setup, lighting, textures...
If anyone's interested. ???

Dries

I'll expand on my workflow when I have time during my lunch break.

Dries

zpaolo

Quote from: youknowwho4eva on February 11, 2013, 07:45:16 AM
It looks like your beer and your class sit face to face. So if you retract the beer just a tad, it should fix the issue of it not looking like beer.

If he retracts the beer volume it will look like a "blob" of beer is contained in a thick plastic bottle, and not look like glass and beer at all, you can try expanding the beer volume to let it intersect with the glass volume (cheap trick that usually works) or you have to split all the interfaces by surface.

Paolo

JimmyToTheBe

my model does have a small intersection with the glass surface, but only by about 1mm or 2. Ill have to test it with another thickness of glass instead, to get the 'beer inside glass' effect.

I also might try to use a texture and bump map for the condensation.

DriesV

As promised...
Here's my process to model dew droplets and foggy condensation on a glass with liquid (SolidWorks 2013)...
(See included zip archive for accompanying screenshots...)

# Preparation (Step 0):
Model your glass and liquid. I opted for a slight intersection of my liquid solid into the glass.
Make sure that your inner and outer glass surfaces are single faces. (This makes the next steps easier ;)).

#Step 1:
Make an outward offset of your outer glass surface. The distance should be very small. A condensation material will be applied to this surface in KeyShot.

#Step 2:
Make an inward offset of your outer glass surface. The distance should be very small. This surface will be used to cut the water droplet bodies later on.

#Step 3:
Make an inward offset of your outer glass surface. The distance should be larger. This surface will be used to sketch points on, to make patterns of water droplets.

#Step 4:
Model droplets (spheres) with varying radius. Now make a first sketch (3D) and randomly put points on the 'droplet sketch surface' that we created by offsetting the glass surface in Step 3.

#Step 5:
Use the 'droplet sphere' and 3D sketch from Step 4 to create a pattern of droplets.
You can make several 3D sketches with points for different size droplets.

#Step 6:
You can also create an extra droplet sketch surface (offset with larger distance from outside glass surface) for droplets with larger radii. Ths creates a more natural, less synthetic, looking dew on the glass. ;)

#Step 7:
Cut your water droplet spheres with the offset surface that you created in Step 2.
The water droplets should now intersect your glass body very slightly.

#Step 8:
Make an 'assembly' of your cup and dew geometry. Check everyting and prepare your model (tesselation, coloring parts...) for import in KeyShot.

For me, this is the most flexible solution for simulating dew and condensation on glass.

I added a STEP model and KeyShot package (ksp) with the same cup and droplets. The KeyShot scene is fully set up and ready to render.
Link to KeyShot package: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw6BI0tv_sN8M2tQSEVvcDZ4V1E/edit?usp=sharing

Have fun!

Dries

DriesV

Using the opacity map you can also simulate heated spots on the glass (e.g. finger marks).

Dries

Imz

Quote from: DriesV on February 12, 2013, 06:39:03 AM
Using the opacity map you can also simulate heated spots on the glass (e.g. finger marks).

Dries

Thanks Dries! Very helpful.

JimmyToTheBe

Nice one Dries this is very helpful.

zpaolo

Nice tutorial, speaking of droplets, some ideas to make the same thing with Pro|ENGINEER or Creo Parametric... I'd start defining a user defined feature for the "cut droplet", this is just a sphere placed on a point of the surface and cut with an offset of the same surface. This UDF shoud be defined in such a way that when you place it, it asks for the center point, for the radius and for the surface. Since the offset is part of the UDF itself, you don't have to modify the geometry to generate the drop cutting surface. Another hint, in Creo you can define more datum points on a surface in the same datum point feature, once you have placed them, select two planes and it automatically reference all the points to the same planes.

Paolo

PhilippeV8

Here's my 2 cents worth:

From what I can see from pictures online, drops on glasses are rarely round.  Therefore I would suggest using a good condensation and droplets bump map for this.  I would however keep the geometry droplets, but less in the center of the glass and more towards the sides.  Why?  Because a bump map does not have effect on the object silhouette line, while geometry obviously does.
With a good bump map, you can add 1 milion of drops to show condensation, while with geometry .. it'be tough .. lets keep it at that.  ;)

Attached is a quick render of my idea.  It could be better, cuz I can't find good bump maps that I can access from work (web-filter is tough here).

DriesV

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on February 13, 2013, 12:26:32 AM
Here's my 2 cents worth:

From what I can see from pictures online, drops on glasses are rarely round.  Therefore I would suggest using a good condensation and droplets bump map for this.  I would however keep the geometry droplets, but less in the center of the glass and more towards the sides.  Why?  Because a bump map does not have effect on the object silhouette line, while geometry obviously does.
With a good bump map, you can add 1 milion of drops to show condensation, while with geometry .. it'be tough .. lets keep it at that.  ;)

Attached is a quick render of my idea.  It could be better, cuz I can't find good bump maps that I can access from work (web-filter is tough here).

Philippe, that's a great idea. :)
My tutorial was meant as a very quick solution for 3D droplets in CAD. I know droplets are not perfectly spherical in reality. There sure are techniques to model more organic droplets and to 'wrap' them around geometry, but those are VERY time consuming. Believe me, I have tried... ;D
I think you're absolutely right that a combo of physical droplets and HQ bump/normal map works wonders.
I dare you to extend the tutorial for droplet bump mapping. :P

Dries

fario

better!!!!  ;)

oh yes!!! tutorial please!!!