Brushed Metal Jewelry

Started by annamaria, April 09, 2013, 03:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annamaria

Quote from: Ed on April 21, 2013, 10:23:54 AM
annamaria -

I agree - smooth bands are tough.  Intricate jewelry is much easier.

Yes, the brush marks are longer on the reference.  Should be able to duplicate that by stretching the bump map in Photo Shop and using "no repeat" in KeyShot.  I think a bump map stretched with a ratio of 10 units in length and 1 unit in height will work well for the outer surface of a band without repeating.

The only post effect I used was "Levels" and "Curves" in PS.  This creates some white blown out areas and darker edges which seem to match the reference images better.  Unfortunately that technique also breaks the brush marks into shorter segments which make it look rough as you noted.  I need to think on this and experiment.

"...Problem with rendering is, if u change something it affects everything. "   That happens.  I find  it can be an iterative process - pick the HDR, then tweak the materials slightly to best interact with that HDR.  But once you have that dialed in, you can drop in your various ring models and crank them out quickly.

Ed

Ed, Great idea to strech the texutre in photoshop and use a no repeat. I will try that one for sure! I think my problem is that i'm desperate i tend to jump alot from render to render.

annamaria

Quote from: TpwUK on April 21, 2013, 12:27:20 PM
And here's my effort - pure KS, no re-touching KSP provided with post incase you want to play further ...

Thanks for your input! Really lovely ring! I will also play with it and post updates on it!

annamaria

Quote from: DriesV on April 21, 2013, 02:24:45 PM
Here you have 'em.
Packages were named according to posted renderings above.

Dries

Thanks Dries for everything. It's  better then what i did. Your brushes are really nice. I will play with it and will keep you updated.!

thanks again

DriesV

Glad you like it! ;) I hope to see some of your renderings soon...

Quote from: annamaria on April 21, 2013, 05:14:22 PM
I think my problem is that i'm desperate i tend to jump alot from render to render.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Jack of all trades, master of none. This used to be my mantra for a while, but I decided to focus on a few select tools instead.
Don't be deceived by KeyShots easy to use premise. It's a very capable renderer and you still need to know all the ins and outs in order to push the tool to its limits. For now, you just have to assume that KeyShot is perfectly capable of doing what you want it to do. You just have to focus and learn how to make it work for you. Of course we can always try to help in the process. :)

You get from KeyShot whatever you put into it. For your type of rendering, textures (diffuse and bump) and lighting are key to achieving great results.

Dries

Chad Holton

I'm a little late to the party  ;D but thought I would post what I ended up with. This was heavily based on your reference images from page one. The diamonds were done on a separate pass. Let me know if you'd like the KSP. ~Chad

Edit: Added DOF

Ed

Chad - I thought you only did castings :)   I'd like to see your KSP.

Ed

annamaria

Quote from: Ed on April 22, 2013, 09:04:26 AM

Ed

Me too! The reason i don't post updates is because i'm embarased that i can't post quality stuff after all the help i got!

So please post it! anything is welcome!

DriesV

Quote from: annamaria on April 22, 2013, 11:03:49 AM

Ed

Me too! The reason i don't post updates is because i'm embarased that i can't post quality stuff after all the help i got!

performance anxiety? ???
If you don't show us your progress it's hard to give further advice...

Dries

DriesV

OK, these are my last images before Anna posts some of her own. :P
I used the same custom pin light HDRI.
I primarily played with the diffuse color of the colored metal ring and brightness/contrast values of all sorts (environment, settings and texture).

For the adjusted image I did several things in Photoshop: curve adjustments, mild vibrance/saturation boost, color balance adjustment to yellow, blending with very high contrast (with extreme curve adjustment) layer copies at multiply & linear dodge mode (+/-10pct. each).

Dries

TpwUK

Nice work DriesV, but i actually think the raw keyshot ones are now better than the re-touched, so I guess that means you have got it about right. I have never seen a material so dependant on camera angles, lighting and scaling along with contrast and brightness take so much effort. It's a seriously hard challenge

Martin

Chad Holton

Quote from: annamaria on April 22, 2013, 11:03:49 AM

Ed

I like to dabble with jewelry every now and then, Ed.  :D

@Anna & Ed - About to send the package file your way using the email you have under your profile.

Here's one more... just a tad different. A little more crisp now and changed the Env angle some. I only bumped up the gamma a small bit after adding the diamonds in post.

Ed

Here's my latest version of the "Jewelry Catalog" look for bands.

DriesV - I used your floor material and metal brush map on my model.

I experimented with an existing studio HDR and added one pin and some tilt to get more light toward the ring bottom.

The gold stripe was rendered using a different HDR, and output with alpha, then overlayed on the original ring render.  The diffused lighting for the band had made the gold look flat, so this technique restored life to the gold.

Ed

Chad Holton

Hi Anna,

A couple of thoughts that may help you out:
- As Ed said, it's hard to render something with such little features. So, add as much detail as you can to your ring. Little fillets/chamfers/, engravings, etc. make a huge difference. Sharp corners stick out like a sore thumb to me.

- Maybe add a little color correction to make your images "warmer". Check out this image (same as above but just made it a little warmer feeling and less cold or "industrial" by adding a little yellow/orange):

annamaria

thanks everyone for helping me! I'm trying to get closer, as there is no point on posting my progress as it's the same as the project files u guys provided.

Also i noticed when i open project files of dries and chad, it's slower then mine. I did disable the depth of field.

I have a i7 2600 machine, with 16gb ram. I guess it's not that enough?

I didn't used "ground floor" so it was faster with the rings.

I will post an update when the update is worthy to post. I will try on different rings to see what i get. and also different hdri's.

Greetings and thanks everyone for your support! Really!