Brushed Metal Jewelry

Started by annamaria, April 09, 2013, 03:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I agree.  You won't get that look directly out of any render program because it involves post-processing.

I picked an image from the referenced jewelry web site and looked at it using the PS color picker.  I would say they desaturated the image, followed by a Curves adjustment.

I tried this on my previous render paying attention to the color value of the dark reflections and the amount of blown-out areas (see image below).

Of course if the ring has colored metal or stones, those should be rendered using a clown pass so you can adjust those details independently of the ring shank in PS. Notice how my ring below on the left has the gold desaturated as well because I applied the post processing to the entire image.  I also lost the ground shadow as a result, but that can also be prevented using render passes.

Less industrial and more "charming" now? :)

Ed

annamaria

Quote from: Ed on April 14, 2013, 11:39:18 AM
I agree.  You won't get that look directly out of any render program because it involves post-processing.

I picked an image from the referenced jewelry web site and looked at it using the PS color picker.  I would say they desaturated the image, followed by a Curves adjustment.

I tried this on my previous render paying attention to the color value of the dark reflections and the amount of blown-out areas (see image below).

Of course if the ring has colored metal or stones, those should be rendered using a clown pass so you can adjust those details independently of the ring shank in PS. Notice how my ring below on the left has the gold desaturated as well because I applied the post processing to the entire image.  I also lost the ground shadow as a result, but that can also be prevented using render passes.

Less industrial and more "charming" now? :)

Ed

Yes it's getting better. I have a feeling they are using a texture on the texure map itself too, not only as a bump map. It seems nothing special for those render guys  as almost all german wedidng band manifacturers have that style.

This is an other example

I will start experimenting now.

Ed

I have experimented with an image (brushed) texture in conjunction with a normal map (brushed) before.  It came out looking more artificial, but that technique may work well for your project.

I'm convinced you can get the results you need with KeyShot and a little post processing.  So here's my final version of the Non-Industrial Euro Jewelry Look post process below:

It seems every jewelry brand has established their own style of photography, so I wouldn't necessarily attempt to copy your competitors exactly.

Show us your latest result after you experiment some more :)

Ed

DriesV

Another try. ;)

It's not a wedding ring, but the same principles apply. :D

First image is rendering straight out of KeyShot.
Second image is same image, but after post work in Photoshop (curve adjustments, desaturated, blended layers...).

Dries

annamaria

Ed en Dries, thanks both for your all help. I think now it's up to me to go and experiment. I will post an update once i have a progress.!

Thanks again and lets hope for an amazing anna shot :)

Cheers!

DriesV

I tweakeed the texture scale a bit in KeyShot.

Dries

Despot

I can tell you now, they are not renderings - I would wager they are post-processed photography...

J

annamaria

wow thank you all of you for your support! I'm still not there, i need to practise...:(

annamaria

Quote from: biomechanic on April 15, 2013, 07:23:07 AM
I can tell you now, they are not renderings - I would wager they are post-processed photography...

J

The last big one seems indeed photography, but those "meister rings" seems renders no? cuz of the some reflection i see. And normally we should be able to achieve those results in keyshot rendering?

Gr Anna

DriesV

Here is the KeyShot package for that metal piece.
Download

Dries

DriesV

The same material, tweaked a bit and applied to one of our parts. It's not a piece of jewelry, but you get the point! ;)

Dries

DriesV

Same scene, exactly the same materials, same HDRI, BUT different lighting orientation (rotation/height).
Just to show that lighting can have a DRAMATIC effect on the appearance and visual qualities of metals. ;)

EDIT: second image >> Same HDRI settings as first image, but tweaked the material of the main body a bit.

Dries

annamaria

Thanks Dries!

Now it's up to me you guys did enough! I'm now convinced that it's all about the lighting. Will have to sit and study lighting better.

Cheers

edwardo

Mr biomechanic is dead right - these are photographs, cropped and superimposed onto a photoshop canvas

annamaria

Quote from: edunabie on April 17, 2013, 03:36:41 AM
Mr biomechanic is dead right - these are photographs, cropped and superimposed onto a photoshop canvas

I checked many jewelry photographs, wedding bands ect.."meister ringen" images are 3d rendered. you can see it for your self, google , u will see "photographs just look different" and there is no way u can "go from the photography to this high end pictures.

Also there is a software u can see where the pictures is photoshoped, "u can see there is some post work done, like highlights and shadows but this pictures come atleast 70% from the render.

The secret seems behind the lighting environment or Hdri.

This is the progress i have so far...not that pretty :( I'm still not happy. Can never sell a ring in this render.

It feels that i'm close "technically", like the highlights ect...but the way it looks it's totally not close. Meister ringen rings just charm you...this one says "don't buy me" lol