Brushed Metal Jewelry

Started by annamaria, April 09, 2013, 03:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

annamaria -

On my ring models I assign separate materials for the ring interior and exteriors (this must be done inside your modeling program).

Even if the ring interior and exterior are made from the same metal, I still make the ring model with two materials.  This allows more control.  For example, I may have a white gold exterior and interior, but because I can assign each a different material in KeyShot, I can increase the roughness slightly (for example) to blur and soften the reflections on the ring interior only (or vice versa)

Ed

Arnaud

annamaria

I used Rhino / Rhinogold for modelling. The external surface has been spitted in 2 separate surfaces to apply the brushed texture on the central area

HDRI is "studio 008" found on Deviant Art. Works fine for jewellery.

I can share the model in Rhino / or BIP format. Let me know.

Arnaud

here is the ksp package

annamaria

Quote from: TpwUK on April 11, 2013, 06:09:59 PM
Try this material and see if it helps

Martin

thanks for your material TP. I also tried the same type with different brushed texutres i found online. I still don't get the way it looks there. I think it must be the lighting...

annamaria

Quote from: Ed on April 11, 2013, 06:48:50 PM
annamaria -

On my ring models I assign separate materials for the ring interior and exteriors (this must be done inside your modeling program).

Even if the ring interior and exterior are made from the same metal, I still make the ring model with two materials.  This allows more control.  For example, I may have a white gold exterior and interior, but because I can assign each a different material in KeyShot, I can increase the roughness slightly (for example) to blur and soften the reflections on the ring interior only (or vice versa)

Ed

Thanks Ed, indeed i forgot to seperate the surfaces, i'm still learning rhino. I'm still suffering for the render. I will switch 3 days to maxwell demo experiment then compare.

annamaria

Quote from: Arnaud on April 12, 2013, 09:41:16 AM
here is the ksp package

Hi Arnaud, Thanks for your help! I will open and play arround and also use it to test in other renderers.

Ed

annamaria -

I tried one of my ring models here.  Compared to your "penciled" image, is this the direction you want to go?

Ed

annamaria

Quote from: Ed on April 13, 2013, 09:43:16 AM
annamaria -

I tried one of my ring models here.  Compared to your "penciled" image, is this the direction you want to go?

Ed

Wow, Yes we are getting defenetly closer. No idea how u achieved it. Can i have the bip or some direction how to get there?
Ps: Is this a keyshot standard hdri?

Thanks!

Ed

Here are the essentials from my render for the brushed rings with gold stripe in my earlier post:

Brushed Material: Platinum polished.
Color: R254 G254 B255
Roughness: 0.02
Add a texture (normal) map: Brushed Normal.jpg
Check: Normal Map
Texture: Scale: 0.35
UV Coordinates (may want to try Box Map depending on the model)
Bump Height: 1
Check Repeat.

Environment: studio008.hdz
Contrast: 1
Brightness: 0.16
Size: 200
Height: -0.5
Rotation: 88
Fine tune as needed using Tilt and/or Pins in the KeyShot HDR Editor.

Camera:
Focal Length: 60
Add a small amount of Depth of Field as desired.

In Photo Shop experiment with the Curves adjustment if the ring has too much contrast or is too dark.

Ed

DriesV

Okay, I just had to try something too.

note: I focussed on rendering the metal part of the ring only. The HDRI should be tweaked (or switched entirely...) for the gems to pop.

What I find to work very well is to start from a fully white blank HDRI (RGB 0,0,0; intensity @ 0 stops) and then add KeyShot pins with negative intensity in blend mode to get sharp reflections and shading in the ring.

Dries

DriesV

Slightly more subtle brush effect on the outer surface.

Dries

DriesV

I decided to give the diamonds some more love. Actually, just increasing the ray bounces to around 24 already made them appear much more lively.
Also some DOF was added.

I rendered the image in one shot (both metal and diamonds in same rendering).
I cut out the diamonds with a flat pass and made some color and curve adjustments in PS for the ring and diamonds.

Is this coming closer to what you want?

Dries

annamaria

Quote from: DriesV on April 14, 2013, 07:30:48 AM
I decided to give the diamonds some more love. Actually, just increasing the ray bounces to around 24 already made them appear much more lively.
Also some DOF was added.

I rendered the image in one shot (both metal and diamonds in same rendering).
I cut out the diamonds with a flat pass and made some color and curve adjustments in PS for the ring and diamonds.

Is this coming closer to what you want?

Dries

Hey Dries,

Thanks for all your effort to show the screenshot of the hdri and your rings.

The look we are trying to achieve is this look. Look at all the rings they have in 80% exactly same look. i can't explain or understand what that look is.

We tried with maxwell,keyshot and vray, and we get always same type of look. A it's metallic industrial Or B it's cartonisch or Pencil style.

Here are the pictures.

http://www.meisterschmuck.com/en/produkte/trauringe/phantastics

We are hopeless. We are not lazy or anything, we just bought maxwell vtc course learned maxwell, but still we can't close to this.

Everything aside, we love keyshot, it's workflow beats everything. It's over 2 weeks, i'm doing nothing but rendering with all softwares, jumping from one to an other. ect ect trying to find something that works and buy that render engine.

:(

DriesV

I think you won't be getting such images in a 1-click rendering.
Also, looking at the images more closely, f.i. DOF in most of the multiple ring images doesn't make sense (in a physical way).
That linked image has fairly shallow DOF. Yet, both rings' 'facades' are in focus, while the ring with stones is clearly closer to the camera. This is impossible to achieve in reality. Also, how on earth can that logo be captured so sharply? ???
You'd have a hard time matching those exact lighting patterns in one shot too...

I suspect all of those images have seen a LOT of post processing. I'm not even sure if they are renderings. They could well be entirely crafted in Photoshop. There's no way to know, really. :)

annamaria

Quote from: DriesV on April 14, 2013, 11:20:26 AM
I think you won't be getting such images in a 1-click rendering.
Also, looking at the images more closely, f.i. DOF in most of the multiple ring images doesn't make sense (in a physical way).
That linked image has fairly shallow DOF. Yet, both rings' 'facades' are in focus, while the ring with stones is clearly closer to the camera. This is impossible to achieve in reality. Also, how on earth can that logo be captured so sharply? ???
You'd have a hard time matching those exact lighting patterns in one shot too...

I suspect all of those images have seen a LOT of post processing. I'm not even sure if they are renderings. They could well be entirely crafted in Photoshop. There's no way to know, really. :)

Yes you are 100% correct. but what i'm after at is the "material on the metal". The way it looks. There is defensively some hardcore postwork done in the pictures. I'm just speechless why i can't achieve that metal look, that feeling. That charming feeling.

I guess an other German engineering that can not be explained? :D