Brushed Metal Jewelry

Started by annamaria, April 09, 2013, 03:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annamaria

Hey Everybody,

For 3 days i'm with the dillema of brushed metals.

This is what i'm trying to achieve.

I tired brushed textures as bump and as textures, i did everything, mine looks just "computer generated and not real.

Can somebody help me or show me how i can achieve this with keyshot? Me and my team wants to buy keyshot because it's easy to use, and it's fast. We will also going to get hdri light studio. We tried demo's of everything and i can't find any tutorial that can give me that results.

It's really important to us to have that same type of results, and not "oke results".

Is this possible with keyshot ? and how do i achieve this. We are on point of buying it, but we are waiting for responce from keyshot crew and you guys.(about this brushed rings)

There is also bunkspeed pro, which we did not like (the work flow).

Thanks in advance guys! I can't wait to get this results.

Ed

Can you post an image of your KeyShot renders?  Can you post the BIP?

It would be easier to help knowing your starting point.

Ed

annamaria

Thanks ed for your fast Reply.

KeyShot

I think you are pretty close. Perhaps reduce the scale (size) of the bumpmap, and change the lighting environment to show more reflection lines. You can also add a bit of depth of field to match the product images.

annamaria

Quote from: KeyShot on April 09, 2013, 04:10:08 PM
I think you are pretty close. Perhaps reduce the scale (size) of the bumpmap, and change the lighting environment to show more reflection lines. You can also add a bit of depth of field to match the product images.

So it is possible to achieve with keyshot the rings i post for reference? I don't want to get into maxwell or vray for just brushed metals. All we need is to have high end realistic brushed juwelry.

I also did some reading on maxwell and vray, they were using different layers with different textures ect...trying to do the same with keyshot.

My render is not bad and looks pretty close, but it's artifical. When i look at the pics i post, i want to buy those rings, that's how mm they look.

cheers

guest84672

As Henrik said, reduce the scale of the textures, and change the lighting. You are getting close.

Ed

annamaria - I agree, you're pretty close to the reference images.  I suggest you make the changes others have recommended here, then render in the same position and scale as your reference image.  Post a composition of your ring and the reference image side-by-side.  That way we can see the both rings in the same pose, make a comparison, and make further recommendations.

When you say your result does not look real, can you describe further what you want to improve?  Is it the reflections?  The depth of the brush?  The highlights?  The metal color?

Ed

annamaria

Quote from: Ed on April 10, 2013, 10:16:40 AM
annamaria - I agree, you're pretty close to the reference images.  I suggest you make the changes others have recommended here, then render in the same position and scale as your reference image.  Post a composition of your ring and the reference image side-by-side.  That way we can see the both rings in the same pose, make a comparison, and make further recommendations.

When you say your result does not look real, can you describe further what you want to improve?  Is it the reflections?  The depth of the brush?  The highlights?  The metal color?

Ed

Thanks all for your reply and suggestions.

Ed that's the problem, i don't even know what it is. We just want it to look exactly as in the pictures shown. I can send the 3d model if somebody has time to help. I will post an update.

It's so commercial and yummy looking.

An other example is this one. If we could do renders like this ooh god :p

Ed

annamaria  - Can you post the obj model?

In my humble opinion, part of the issue is you want to achieve a look that is not photo-real, using a render program that is photo-real.  I see that style of image on many jewelry web sites and catalogs, and it looks fake to me.  And usually it's the high-end jewelers that go for that look.  Maybe that's called "commercial" :)  To me it looks like a washed-out illustration, not a photo.  Plus, the diamonds are black & white and have no life.

My personal preferences aside, if you can post the obj file I think myself and others can have a go at it.  It may take some photo shop work to get there, because the images on the high end jewelry sites are not straight out of the camera either.

Ed

annamaria

Hi Ed, Indeed it looks just like u described. To a trained Eye like yours it looks different then to the clients.

Here is the link of the file i used in keyshot.

http://rapidgator.net/file/24c5fb65a07e824c15c01b532f5d5951/Ring_for_Ed.stp.html

I'm also testing the Burn and Dodge tool in photoshop to create highlights to see if i can get closer.

thanks in advance
anna

Here is the file i'm trying to get the brushed look on it.

Quote from: Ed on April 10, 2013, 02:02:35 PM
annamaria  - Can you post the obj model?

In my humble opinion, part of the issue is you want to achieve a look that is not photo-real, using a render program that is photo-real.  I see that style of image on many jewelry web sites and catalogs, and it looks fake to me.  And usually it's the high-end jewelers that go for that look.  Maybe that's called "commercial" :)  To me it looks like a washed-out illustration, not a photo.  Plus, the diamonds are black & white and have no life.

My personal preferences aside, if you can post the obj file I think myself and others can have a go at it.  It may take some photo shop work to get there, because the images on the high end jewelry sites are not straight out of the camera either.

Ed

annamaria

This is what i'm getting, it looks like it's drawn with pencil lol.

I enhanced the diamonds in photoshop. (sharpened them and blended over the layers)

Cheers. I feel really dumb, as i'm on this ring for over 15 hours trying to get the above results.

Arnaud

Hi, interesting post. Here are an attempt on a similar model. Any comment would be appreciated.

(model available, let me know)

annamaria

Thanks for your Entry!

How do you seperate your surface with the inside?

Also you see the renders look more "industrial" (still better then mine ofcourse)

Do you mind sharing your bip file. (what hdri u used)? so i can play arround?

Today i have been on keyshot for 12 hours, on different rings, i cant get like the shown image. I can't give up because i don't have a choice, it's almost summer, wedding season is opening, and we don't have our rings ready.

We would be happy to pay anyone if they could setup a scene for it? :(

Pff feel so lost!

Cheers

annamaria

Quote from: Arnaud on April 11, 2013, 02:41:59 PM
Hi, interesting post. Here are an attempt on a similar model. Any comment would be appreciated.

(model available, let me know)

I forgot to quote you! :p

TpwUK

Try this material and see if it helps

Martin