Need a new Workstation for Keyshot

Started by Subclub, April 21, 2013, 02:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subclub

Hey Guys,

one of my customers requested a new Workstation for keyshot presentation and fast rendering. They want to present a range of Products in different colourschemes and render them quickly for potential buyers.
The Budget is 4000

3D Off the Page

I have great success building workstations around the evga sr-2 motherboard.  It will handle two six core xeon processors and loads of ram.  All the cores are great for rendering in Keyshot or max.  I have attached a sample build sheet.

DriesV

I would also look at refurbished/renewed HP Z820 workstations.
We got one for just under 4000 euros (excl. VAT) through an HP partner. It has 2 Xeon E5-2680 CPUs, 32GB RAM, a 240GB Intel SSD, a Quadro 4000 and W7 Pro 64 bit. It also came with the remaining 2.5 year full HP onsite warranty.

Sometimes there are really superb deals on these refurbished beasts, that even a DIY build cannot beat. ;)

Dries

cranston

...or the DELL outlet as well.  They just had a dual 8-core T7600 for $3400.

If you want to build, I suggest moving to a dual socket 2011 motherboard.  Newegg has several ASUS and Supermicro boards in that price range.  Then choose a pair of E5-2650 8-Core cpu's.  They should be at least 20% faster than the old generation X5660.  The best part of that is you get 4 more cores (8 with hyperthreading) for the same price.

You might also consider a Supermicro barebones workstation like the 7047A.  It's a big case with power supply and dual socket motherboard ready to go.  Just add the memory, cpu's and video card...etc.

If that box is strictly for KeyShot, then consider a cheaper video card and up the CPU GHz.

My $0.02
-Brian Cranston

DriesV

Does your client really need one powerful workstation? Will he do live renderings for customers?
If not, you could also get 32 cores (or more) worth of network rendering.
Bang for buck i7 is a lot more interesting than Xeon.

If your client is interested in a multi-system rendering setup, he can also get e.g. 4 dedicated i7-3770k rendering machines (or wait a bit for Intel Haswell to arrive). That will cost a lot less than a dual Xeon E5 setup and actually perform better for non-live rendering. You can also overclock them mildly to squeeze out even more performance.

Dries

Speedster

Also look into the "RenderBOXX".  That's on my list.  It sits alone on top of your existing computer, and has I believe up to 72 or more cores.
Bill G

3D Off the Page

I suggested the x5600 series six core processors vs the new eight core because of overclocking.  I don't believe that any of the workstation boards for the eight core cpu's have overclocking features.

Subclub

Thanks you all for the very helpfull repost.
I've talk to the customer and he is increasing his budget up to 6000

Subclub

The current Setup would be:

2x Intel Xeon E5- 2687W
2x Kingston HyperX 24GB
1X Nvidia Quadro K2000
1X Corsair HX1050 1050W
1X Lian Li PC-A75X Tower
1x SuperMicro X9DAE Motherboard
1x Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB or 1x Seagate Barracuda Sata 2TB+ 1x Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB (for the same Price)
1x LG BH10L S38 BluRay
1x Windows 7 Pro

Am I Missing something? CPU-Cooling maybe? Am I doing something completely wrong?

Thanks!

DriesV

Subclub, does it have to be a single system solution?
Is a network rendering setup also good?

For the same money, network rendering with Intel i7 machines (e.g. 3770) can (easily) be twice as fast as that dual Xeon E5 workstation.
Of course for live rendering sessions (when you're running KeyShot in front of customers) the workstation is the better option, as network rendering cannot be used for the realtime rendering.

Dries

Subclub

Unfortunately it has to be one Workstation. I ve tried to explain him what the benefits of a network solution would be, but the customer insists to go with one workstation. That's why has increased the budget from 4000 to 6000.

DriesV

Okay, then your CPU selection is probably the best there is performance wise.
Personally, I would buy it refurbished, but maybe I'm just a cheapskate. :)

For me a top of the line dual Xeon machine would only make sense if you plan to do a LOT of renderings constantly (or use it for other computationally expensive stuff).
I'm using a dual Xeon E5-2680 machine daily. I'm not constantly rendering myself, but we also have network rendering and all render jobs by other users are mostly handled by my machine through network rendering. So all in all it's a pretty occupied machine...

Dries

3D Off the Page

I would go evga sr-x which is a workstation board instead of a server board.  Make sure your case is big enough for any of these dual socket boards.

The samsung pro series ssd's are fantastic and would stick with one of those for your boot drive. 

I build all of my companies pc's and only use Lian-Li cases.  They might be a bit more expensive but the quality is much better.  I used the Lian-Li PC-D8000 for my last build (which is my current 3D rig) and it is too big!  The case is twice as wide as a normal atx case.

If you aren't looking at overclocking (which I don't think that you can do with the 8 core chips) air cooling would be sufficient.  As far as air cooling focus on low noise solutions.  Especially if the renderings will be done with customers present.

Do you really need a bluray drive?  I have one in my pc at work and never use it for burning or reading bluray discs.

I agree with DriesV look for processors on ebay.

Good luck with your build!!

Speedster

I totally agree with the Lian-Li cases.  Datel Systems, in San Diego, California, has built all of my custom workstations.  Absolutely top build quality and bulletproof, with only the best components.  They use Lian-Li aluminum cases for all their workstations.  My latest has five fans, which is just a bit noisy, but I'm used to it.  For reference, since I can't easily locate the model number, the case measures 8.5" wide, 23" high and 24" deep.  And it's stuffed!  I made a rolling platform with large casters to make it easier to move, as it's about 50 pounds.  The neatest thing is a lidded panel on the top/front for 4 USB's, a FireWire and mic/headphone.  Right where it's easy to get to.

FYI- it's about 3 years old now, with Xeon dual quad cores, Win7x64, 16 gigs of RAM and four hard drives totalling 7.5 TB.  My next box (soon, also by Datel) will use SSI.  I'm planning on using a RenderBOXX.

Bill G

DriesV

Bill, I'm just wondering...

Why are you considering a RenderBOXX based on Xeon for network rendering support, as opposed to a bunch of i7 machines?
The latter solution surely is a lot more cost-effective. Do you have specific office space constraints? Do you want to pack the most processing power on the smallest possible footprint?

I'm just curious to know what your motivation might be... :)

Dries