4 x Intel W3530 @ 2.8 GHz
Intel X58 Rev22
2 GB RAM
KeyShot Pro 4.0.74

FPS: 27.6

That's rather slow, is it?

Steve

edwardo

Hi, I dont know much about system builds, but how come youve got a machine with 32 cores (inc threads), but only 2G of ram and run it on an old 32bit platform? Would it help maxing out RAM and installing windows7-64? What difference does RAM (or lack of) make to keyshot - the websites system requirements state 2G minimum.

Apologies if these are dumb questions

Ed

guest84672

I was wondering the same thing, however, this will doesn't affect performance.

DriesV

Around 30fps is what you should be expecting for a single W3530 quad core CPU.
So when you say '4xIntel W3530', do you refer to the 4 physical cores of that CPU?
This CPU only has a single QPI link so you cannot use it in a 2S/4S system.

I think the score you're getting are quite normal for that CPU.

Dries

Steve

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the responses.
I mixed up something in my description. Dries is absolutely right - it's a single W3530 quad core CPU.
(Apprently I didn't understand what my Geraetemanger told me and just repeated it. Translating from English to German and back isn't easy sometimes...)

What about this:

Dell Precision T3500
Windows XP 32-bit
Intel W3530 @ 2.8 GHz
Intel X58 Rev22
2 GB RAM
KeyShot Pro 4.0.74

FPS: 27.6

Steve

(I changed the text in the topic also, which may be confusing for new readers but now it's technically correct. Er... is it?)

And another thing (off topic): I noticed that this is a forum with exceptionally well behaving members. Nobody gets insulted or ridiculed and when someone has a question, he gets an answer! :) I like that very much.

DriesV

Quote from: Steve on May 28, 2013, 09:48:31 PM
Apprently I didn't understand what my Geraetemanger told me and just repeated it

Hmm, so in this overview you're seeing 4 instances of 'Intel W3530 @ 2.8 GHz'?

Your CPU supports Hyper-Threading. You should have 8 logical cores there.
I suspect Hyper-Threading might be disabled in your T3500's BIOS. I strongly advise you to turn on HT in the BIOS.
This can boost performance in KeyShot as much as 30%!

I think with your CPU you might reach +/-34fps with HT on...

Dries

Steve

Dries, you the man.

You were right again, there were 4 processors listed in my Geraetemanager, now there are 8.
I enabled hyper-threading and now my fps are at 36.3!
Thank you. I didn't know that.

So now it's:

Dell Precision T3500
Windows XP 32-bit
Intel W3530 @ 2.8 GHz
Intel X58 Rev22
2 GB RAM
KeyShot Pro 4.0.74
FPS: 36.3

Steve

(I changed the text in the topic yet again, which may be even more confusing for new readers but that should be the last change.)

DriesV

Wow, that's a 31.5% performance increase!
Even more than I (optimistically) estimated. ;)

Glad to help!

Dries

guest84672

edwardo

Ahhh, mystery solved! Still think you should stick in some more RAM - makes life so much easier!

Ed

Steve

With the next computer I try to get more RAM. This one was new when I started with this company three years ago.

Well, actually I just wanted to check my new fps with KeyShot 4.1.35, but after updating KeyShot doesn't start anymore. I see the splash screen, then the main window, then the box that tells me there was an error and KeyShot has to stop now.
First I installed the update, then the full thing - and now I can't use either of the two versions I have installed.

(I posted it in here because here are all the technical bits about my computer.)

Steve

PS: As Europe is awake now (local time 05:17), I expect Dries to come up with something within the hour...  :D
Dries, help me please...  :-*
:-[

DriesV

Firstly, I'm not awake at 05:17, not even at 06:17... ;D

As to your problem, I have no idea.
I just did a clean install myself on my W7 64-bit machine and all is running lovely.

Dries

Steve

Lucky you. (Regarding KeyShot AND the time you get up.)

Thanks nonetheless.

Steve

Claus Jensen

Steve,

I sent you a PM earlier today so we can get you up and running. Did you receive it?