Tortoise Shell material (4.1)

Started by NDenekamp, June 21, 2013, 12:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NDenekamp

Another experiment.

This was a nice one to try and recreate. There's many varieties of this type of material, but I like the dense coloured one, with this kind of flame like stirred look, more than the blotted one.

The issue with this one is it only really looks good at this scale. If I scale it up it loses definition, if I scale it down it gets a little too 'veiny' instead of flame-y.

N

richardfunnell

Wow, that is really fantastic!! I've tried to get the same material but the results weren't nearly as good :D

Would you mind sharing your material or material settings? I would love to see how you made it!

guest84672

Awesome. Another "wood"? Wonder how this looks on a pair of glasses.

NDenekamp

Richard, I created this material as part of beta testing the new procedural textures coming in KeyShot 4.1. So unfortunately I can't share this material as it wont work in the current release.

Thomas, I was wondering the same! so I got a Ray Ban off grabcad, and had a go at rending it with this material.  I made this one with a stretched marble colour map on dielectric material.

Next up, bakelite?

guest84672

Oh man - this is awesome. Please share the material if you don't mind.

NDenekamp

Sure!

When applying you may (very probably) have to adjust the scale and position of the marbling and possibly the colour density of the material to get it to look right.

edwardo

Wow! 100% convincing. I kind of assumed that the forthcoming procedural materials would be a great time saver for parts in the background of scenes etc. But damn, I was wrong, this is truly photo real even in a macro shot! amazing!

PhilippeV8

This should work great on a comb as well :)  Lovely !

TpwUK

Zy0n

TpwUK

Yeah, just like that - lol - needs better shadows, but yeah, just like that!

Martin

PhilippeV8

Yeah, better shadows and engraved gold-painted text ... that takes me back to my early childhood  ;D

PhilippeV8

This is one of the best materials I've seen.  It's spot on.  All thanks to procedural textures, but none the less ... it is perfect.

TpwUK

@PhilippeV8 ... What did the text say though, I can't remember the brand, but I remember the comb so well!?

Martin