Element for a book cover

Started by Wayoutwilly, August 04, 2013, 01:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayoutwilly

Hi all.
I've browsed through other posts, and my work is sub par in comparison - but I'm not a 3D artist...

This is more of a story where you begin "even an idiot could do it". Couple of years ago I've decided to write an action novel; then I was just starting dabbling in 3D (working as IT journalist), and was wondering if I could make a focal point for the book cover in 3D. Model was simple, and I only had to render it out - that was a problem because I didn't know how to make a good studio environment or anything like that.
I was talking to a friend who said he uses Keyshot 2, and that I could just remote connect to his computer, drop in the model, and try it a little. It took me just around half an hour to get the model in, find the right materials, rotate the environment, and that was it!
I liked it so much I ended up using it (and didn't mess with it for years) on a book cover.

So, if an idiot can get great results in just half an hour, imagine what smart and talented people could do!

I'm attaching original art, and the book cover so you can see how it turned out.

guest84672

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. In the first image the perspective looks a bit off, and there seems to be a bit of twist in the camera. But it looks like you got it for the final image!

Wayoutwilly

The first one is a little bit "wonky", but it took me few more minutes to get the real hang of the camera (plus, it was remote so I blame that also).
But I have to say, people who really know how to handle this software could probably work miracles with it.

alp