KeyShot Creature Spot - Jerod Bogh

Started by jBogh, September 05, 2013, 03:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jBogh

Hey render-heads,
I thought I'd start up a thread to share some creature designs.
Most likely just keeping it to personal work/studies done in my own time.

This first alien concept started as my morning warm-up a few days ago. And I couldn't put him down.
After 2 or 3 major revisions and some early lookdev this is where he's at.
Fresh outta the KeyShot oven! These are all fairly quick renders just using Max Samples so far. Planning on letting the Advanced Render run on these while I'm sleeping though.
Really loving the ZBrush to Keyshot plugin!
Cheers!

[Mantis Face]

PhilippeV8

It kinda reminds me of the movie I saw last night (Predator)  :D

edwardo

Haha, nice! Monsters /aliens that dribble are so much nastier than others. Nice drool work

Josh3D

Mantis face, oh mantis face, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE. Dude, if this is your warm up, I can't imagine... wait, yes I can.

Chad Holton

I think he needs a hug.. he looks a little lonely in some of the renderings.  ::) Nice job - can't wait to see some more of your work.

DominicQwek

Rex

PhilippeV8

Quote from: Chad Holton on September 05, 2013, 07:57:16 AM
I think he needs a hug.. he looks a little lonely in some of the renderings.  ::) Nice job - can't wait to see some more of your work.

True.  He looks like he came to earth with a team, weapons and a plan, but their craft crashed killing all others and destroing all weapons.  Now he's just a weird scary face alien that is stuck on a foreign planet.  E.T. was better off.

Speedster

QuoteNow he's just a weird scary face alien that is stuck on a foreign planet.
Not to worry- he can easily get a job as Creative Director at any leading CG studio.
Bill G

jBogh

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on September 05, 2013, 04:10:30 AM
It kinda reminds me of the movie I saw last night (Predator)  :D
Thanks man, Predator is responsible for me getting into creature and character art in the first place.
My Dad never skipped it when it played on TV while I was growing up. That and Alien had a huge influence on me from an early age.

Quote from: edwardo on September 05, 2013, 05:35:30 AM
Haha, nice! Monsters /aliens that dribble are so much nastier than others. Nice drool work
Edwardo, thanks so much!

Quote from: josh3d on September 05, 2013, 05:41:50 AM
Mantis face, oh mantis face, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE. Dude, if this is your warm up, I can't imagine... wait, yes I can.
Heh thanks Josh :) This friendly face started as sphere and I just went crazy with dynamesh. Kinda just concepting as I went.
More on the way!

He wants a girlfriend but he's a bad kisser! Thanks Chad!

Quote from: DominicQwek on September 05, 2013, 10:47:51 AM
Awesome work , Jerod!
Dominic, thanks so much dude!
Appreciate ya dropping by!

Quote from: Rex on September 05, 2013, 11:03:01 AM
Looks great!
Gracias Rex!!

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on September 05, 2013, 10:49:05 PM

True.  He looks like he came to earth with a team, weapons and a plan, but their craft crashed killing all others and destroing all weapons.  Now he's just a weird scary face alien that is stuck on a foreign planet.  E.T. was better off.
Love to hear all these interpretations!! This made me laugh  ;D

Quote from: Speedster on September 06, 2013, 05:42:02 AM
QuoteNow he's just a weird scary face alien that is stuck on a foreign planet.
Not to worry- he can easily get a job as Creative Director at any leading CG studio.
Bill G
^^^THIS!
You sir, know your stuff.
Well played!
Be back soon with more guys!

jBogh

First successful KeyShot VR test is now live.
Mantis Face:
http://keyshot.com/vr/JerodBogh/MantisFace_Studio4/MantisFace_Studio4.html

I have learned that I will probably render these out at 1000px Wide (Maximum) in the future due to the width of my website.
Embedding it works well enough but I noticed part of the render gets cut off on my site.
The link looks nice at 1600x900 though.
VR is really really cool and I'm just scratching the surface with this basic turntable I feel like!

Gerard_Mike

Looks great. My only critic is the eyes corneas highlight is too broad, I would put a sharp hotspot so it looks more wet and realistic. I'm also not a big fan of the metal parts that reminds ear rings, but it's just a personal opinion.

fivewingangel

Awesome work! The head design is a great approach and it makes your work stick out!

I can't find the link to the ZBrush to Keyshot Plugin where is it located?

jBogh

Quote from: Gerard_Mike on September 08, 2013, 01:17:21 PM
Looks great. My only critic is the eyes corneas highlight is too broad, I would put a sharp hotspot so it looks more wet and realistic. I'm also not a big fan of the metal parts that reminds ear rings, but it's just a personal opinion.

Thanks! I agree dude I think that would make for a better eye render for sure.
Yeah those metal bits didn't come out exactly how I pictured them but it was worth a stab.
Cheers!

Quote from: fivewingangel on September 10, 2013, 07:41:16 PM
Awesome work! The head design is a great approach and it makes your work stick out!

I can't find the link to the ZBrush to Keyshot Plugin where is it located?

Much appreciated! The plugin should be releasing soon! I'd watch for it on Luxion's FB page :)

jBogh

Here's the Pumpkin Eater I did to help promote the KeyShot Halloween Render Challenge. Really enjoyed this project but I had to work quick!
~30 million polys and no UV's.
Final

Studio Shots