A Couple of Clown Pass Issues

Started by Robb63, February 04, 2014, 10:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

Love the Clown Pass feature, but am having a couple of issues in this current project I am working on.

A little back-story for the first issue... A few posts ago, I had asked here on the forums for help in getting the highly reflective floor that my client was looking for. Some great folks here were very helpful, and now I have some wonderful reflections on a ground plane. The trouble is the ground plane becomes one of the elements in the Clown Pass, and I can't get these great reflections pulled off of the background (like I can by just checking the "Ground Reflections" box). I ultimately have to deliver these images on a floating background (with reflections), so I've got to figure out a workaround.

The other issue, is I find very often that the colors in the clown pass are too similar, and I can't get enough good separation with the magic wand tool in Photoshop. Is there anyway in the future to have an "increase contrast" (or color-space) check-box for the clown pass, or have it use very different hues for adjacent parts?

thx

Rex

Hey Robb63,

What do you mean by a floating background? No ground shadows? What color will the background be in the final image? You may be able to use Render Layers to separate the ground but I need a little more context. Can you provide an example image?

As for the clown pass colors. With the magic wand tool selected in photoshop you're able to adjust the tolerance. Use a smaller value to select a smaller color range. You can also Select>Color Range and adjust fuzziness to refine your selection.

Rex

Vlad

Hi Rob,
If you want a 'clown pass' for the reflection only, duplicate your model and apply a diffuse material. Colour the different products (& parts if you want) with different diffuse colours and make your ground plane 100% reflective. Combine the result with the original clown pass and you have a clown for the reflection.
That's the diffuse rendering:

And that's the combination of the original clown pass + the diffuse rendering.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Vlad

Robb63

I'll give that a try, thanks Vlad!!

Vlad

I was also thinking switching off the Ground And Global illumination, and also rendering it on minimal settings, because there's no benefit of them when doing a flat pass. I can see them doing only harm.

Cheers,
Vlad