New feature driven Keyshot 5 tests

Started by Despot, June 18, 2014, 05:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

Hey

I didn't get a chance to test KS5 properly as I had previously had been running it on a lowly laptop - now I have a desktop rig I thought I'd have another go.

Played with the Pattern feature (instancing) and it's nothing short of amazing, especially the ability to then still treat every clone as if it was a normal duplicate in terms of materials, positioning etc

The scene that used the most polygons was the Desse Dragster scenes, 1000 clones and 2.3 Billion polygons

But the most fascinating (and relatively hidden away) feature is the Curvature procedural shader - in my mind it is immense and I want to congratulate the Luxion guy that coded this - it basically allows you 'dirty up' your model in crevices and folds... think of ZBRush cavity map on acid. What I'm using it for is to create metals with realistic patinas, i.e. corroded brass and copper. more esoteric and playful looks can also be had, in fact the few parameters it has belies it's power.

I think they look pretty realistic for completely procedural textures - these are just tests, loads more to come

**In my browser,  a few of the images are being dynamically resized, they are best clicked on and viewed full size**

Hellboy sculpt by Laurent Dury
Dragster model by Christophe Desse

Cheers

J

TpwUK

Nice research J - impressive results to boot too :)

Martin

Esben Oxholm

Wow - THe hellboy is amazing!
If I didn't knew it already, I would not have believed that it was a completely procedural shader. Good job.

Despot

edwardo

that curvature procedural shader looks amazing! That'll be right up your alley, J?

The instancing feature is surely a brilliant technical feat, but id like to see it have 'scatter' and 'randomise' features - basically be geared towards grass and out door objects, or be able to fill one object with multiple clones of another object (sweets in a jar type thing). At the moment it can only produce vast armys of clones in an array (albeit with different materials)

Ed

ps, nice bellboy sculpt!

Despot

Cheers Ed - and your spot on with the pattern feature exactly, that and it should be renamed to something other than 'Pattern', doesn't sound right to me... 'Klones' perhaps, or perhaps not, my strong point is not marketing...

And, ahem... have you been to Specsavers recently Ed ?  ;)

Bellboy indeed...

J

edwardo

QuoteBellboy indeed...

sorry, that's predictive text for you! "Bellboy"... sounds like something straight out of the profanisaurus!

Yea, I'd like to see the instancing feature be able to randomise size, orientation (Y mainly), colour, and 'pattern' location. Each of these elements should be able to be randomised within a specified range (subtle effect to drastically varied effect). I think with the new sun/sky system there could be the potential to do amazing outdoor tree/grass/nature shots (of the wide angle variety)

Ed

Ed

Those metal patinas are excellent!  Really takes it to the next level.

Ed

Despot

Quotesounds like something straight out of the profanisaurus!

Sure does Edwardo, agree with you again on the pattern feature, but to be honest I'm not overly keen on the sun/sky system and I really don't like it being part of the HDRI editor

QuoteThose metal patinas are excellent!  Really takes it to the next level.

Thanks Ed, much appreciated, you've earned yourself a second 'awkward man hug' of the day...  ;)

J

Rex

John those curvature materials look amazing! Please share on KeyShot Cloud!

DriesV

Delicious! All of them, but especially that first dragsters image.

Btw, 'Patterns' in KS5 work pretty much the same way as Patterns in CAD. Maybe that's where the idea originated?
I agree that patterns are stupendously powerful.

Dries

JimmyToTheBe

WOW great renders, like you say that is a hidden feature that should be recognised more and more. Especially for 3D artists.

jBogh

Sweet renders John!
And Thank you thank you thank you for illuminating the Curvature Procedural!
That is just too cool!

Edit: After playing around with it for just few minutes Im loving it.
It would be nice if we could somehow overlay this procedural over the top of an existing material without having to overwrite the color.
For example be able to apply a curvature modifier of sorts to a nice red plastic. Giving the same controls just adding to the material information thats already there.
I dont know if this could be done but it sure would be sweet.
John Im with everyone else that has said post these on the cloud :)
Im going to try my hand at making some but would love to see how you are setting things up as well.
Cheers!

DriesV

Quote from: The Metal Master on June 18, 2014, 05:23:53 AM
But the most fascinating (and relatively hidden away) feature is the Curvature procedural shader - in my mind it is immense

True, John.
I find this to be the case for quite a few KeyShot features.
To name a few: indirect bounces, GI cache, (range of) caustics quality... Some of these are a bit technical, but still easy to grasp and use if a few typical use cases would be provided.

I think Luxion should provide some 'reference cards' with clear examples of what each feature does and where it could be useful.

Dries

DriesV

Maybe it's a cool idea for a new contest.

Pick any KS feature you like and make the best reference material for it. ;)

Dries