v2.1 'Bloom'

Started by jhiker, October 01, 2010, 04:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kh

jhiker - I'm having the same. It is gray out.
I think that this is because my laptop does not have special GPU.

CPU: Intel Core2Duo T9300 2.5GHz
RAM: 3GB
Chipset: Mobile Intel 965 Express
(GPU: Mobile Intel GMA X3100
VRAM: 384MB)

JSK

Quote from: Thomas Teger on October 07, 2010, 08:40:00 AM
ok. Do you have the idle time set in the preferences by any chance?

Hi

In the prerences I have the idle time at 0. When i click the bloom tap, program becomes non-responsive. After that when you look at task manager / process keyshot.exe increases the memory usage from ~100 000 to 240 000K.

BR
JSK

jhiker

kh - I'm greyed out too...

jhiker

Thomas - any comments on my computer spec? I know it's a bit long in the tooth, but should v2.1 be running OK?

guest84672

No need to uninstall. What are your computer specs?

rossco

Hi

Any update on this issue yet.  I've tried all of the above and it still freezes when I hit the enable button.

I'm running a Dell 690 DUAL QUAD with 8GB RAM and a NVIDIA QUADRO FX4500 graphics card.

Cheers

guest84672

We will check into this issue. This should not happen.

guest84672

Quote from: Thomas Teger on October 08, 2010, 06:43:31 AM
No need to uninstall. What are your computer specs?

Just saw all the computer specs - sorry for asking the same thing again. We will check into it.

Anders Johnsen

Hi all,

I'll try to clear up a few mysteries; When starting KeyShot, we're trying to detect if the graphic card available have the required features. If any of these features are not available, the entire "Realtime Effects" field will be grayed out. We are currently refining this code that detects the graphics card. Right now we are trying to be careful not to allow cards that would slow down KeyShot.

We are also getting several reports that some Nvidia Quadro cards will freeze KeyShot when Realtime Effects are enabled. We've been able to reproduce this on a local machine, so a fix should be available in the near future.

A big thank to all of you for these reports.

- Anders

ohashi3d

Hi Anders,

So...my assumption is : "Realtime Effects" needs NVIDIA's CUDA GPU support...is this correct!?
I've heard that KeyShot is CPU power based, so far.
Addition of GPU power support is welcome indeed, but should be noticed as so, I think.
If my assumption is correct, we need the GPUs below:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_gpus.html

Regards

Anders Johnsen

Hi kyosen,

No, Realtime Effects is not based on Nvidia's CUDA, it's based on OpenGL. This makes it cross-platform, cross-vendor. We do, however, have some requirements to the OpenGL implementation, but any graphic card bought today should provide these features.

Please also note that if you use Mircosoft Windows, sometimes the default driver will not provide a sufficient implementation of OpenGL. Downloading the latest driver can probably solve this.

But, just to make it clear, you do not need a Nvidia GPU to use Realtime Effects.

- Anders

guest84672

To add to Anders' post - it is always our goal with KeyShot to be able to run on pretty much any hardware. Tying yourself to certain hardware combined with special software is not a smart business model - therefore we want to stay away from it.

The Gpu effects are our first implementation. We will continue to improve and optimize it so we can run on any graphics card, like Anders stated.

Hope this help.

Thomas

David

I have an Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 which has CUDA Cores.
I can enable bloom and see the effect that it has but when i render with the effect turned on i run into trouble.
The scene renders its pixels as pure black and i've experienced a few crashes,
i haven't been able to narrow the problem down as its a bit unpredictable.
I will see if updating the drivers helps

ohashi3d

Hi Anders and Thomas,

Thank you for your clarifications!
I've just tried Quadro FX 1700 with Forceware 258.49 on WinXP 32bit,
and I confirmed Bloom & Vignetting work correctly.

According to result log files of a OpenGL benchmark utility,
under the same driver(FW258.49),
Quadro FX1700 works as OpenGL3.3.0 and has 192 OpenGL extensions.
Quadro FX3400 works as OpenGL2.1.2 and has 135 OpenGL extensions.
...apparently newer QFX1700 is feature rich more than older QFX3400 :)

David

I have updated to the latest driver and now i get grainy vertical lines instead of a total blackout,
I have had a go with some smaller images res's and it seems to work ok.

It the graphics card getting overloaded?