Feelin' Tipsy... Feedback?

Started by Will Gibbons, January 15, 2015, 05:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Gibbons

Quote from: jhiker on January 19, 2015, 10:52:40 PM
This may be too easy, but don't you just turn off 'visible in reflections'..?

I may have described it in a confusing way. When I turn off 'visible in reflections', along with the reflections, the light on the geometry is turning off as well. I'm trying to determine if I'm doing something wrong to cause it to behave this way, or if there's a bug of sorts... not sure.

feher

ok after playing with your ksp I found some of the issues.
1. your material is set to black you have to have at least 1 in the value. Once you do that you will see the light kick in from the plane.
2. I would set the scale units to inches. This will give you some flexibility in changing the power of the light.
3. Use glass and turn double sided on for the glass and for the wine. I know they have a liquid material but I find the glass material works better.

Try those things and see what happens.

Personally I would stay away from pure black background but that's me.

Good luck I hope this helps.
Tim

jhiker

Quote from: feher on January 20, 2015, 02:12:58 PM
ok after playing with your ksp I found some of the issues.
1. your material is set to black you have to have at least 1 in the value. Once you do that you will see the light kick in from the plane
Personally I would stay away from pure black background but that's me

Tim, could you elaborate a bit.. 'set to black' - you mean the ground material? And what's the 'at least 1' bit about.
Many thanks,
Jeff

Will Gibbons

Quote from: feher on January 20, 2015, 02:12:58 PM

Try those things and see what happens.

Personally I would stay away from pure black background but that's me.

Good luck I hope this helps.
Tim

You're the man Tim!

It helped for sure. I didn't realize the dangers of using 100% black. I'll try to avoid pure blacks from now on as it doesn't seem to reflect light.
The other palm-face-inducing factor was your suggestion about the scale. That explains a lot.  :-[

I added some color grading and one reflection on the stem of the wine glass in PS.

Thanks for your helpful feedback. I learn something here every day.

@jhiker
I had both the ground and the background set to 100% black. Tim's suggestion was to make sure my r, g, b values are >1. Or whatever color 'mode' you're using, avoid pure black.

jhiker

Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on January 21, 2015, 07:54:03 AM
I had both the ground and the background set to 100% black. Tim's suggestion was to make sure my r, g, b values are >1. Or whatever color 'mode' you're using, avoid pure black.

Useful tip! I wasn't aware of that.

Josh3D

Nice progress Will! Ground is a bit distracting, but glass and vino are looking great!

Will Gibbons

Thanks Josh. Yeah. Looks kindof like leopard print out of the corner of my eye, hah. Ah well. It was a good exercise. I learned much. Time to play with some new geometry.