Various Renders (some random RenderWeekly challenges)

Started by JonWelch, July 07, 2017, 08:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonWelch

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 02, 2018, 06:51:54 AM
Looks super Win95, haha, but in an almost cool way. Do you have any sample renderings you've done in KS? Would love to see. Their gallery seems a bit dated.

Haha yea, it looks pretty old-school, but it gets the job done. As far as render examples, I use the trees quite sparingly because I'm not that comfortable rendering them. I still never feel that they look real enough. Also, I have never done anything very architectural so I don't have anything landscape related. (perhaps it's time I try) There are a few shots with trees if you look back through this thread of mine, but the tress are usually out of focus, and just meant to be hinted at. But the shot with the most trees is the Bugatti Chiron and Mclaren shots I did recently, as well as this old render of mine: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=13624.msg68122#msg68122 But I stripped the leaves from most of the tress to make it look more like winter.

JonWelch

Well, I've been sitting at home with Shingles for the past week, so what better way to spend my time then with rendering. Here's a few random thing's I did recently for practice.
The fantastic Porsche 918 was supplied by non-other than Nils.
The fire hose hookup was inspired by the tutorial from Esben Oxholm on creating worn painted metal.
The Eggs/JackDaniels are just something I wanted to try for material/texture practice.
As always, feel free to comment and critique.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Loving the egg and worn metal scene! Especially the eggs! I thing the raw one is borderline nailed, except for this extra thick egg white surrounding the yoke that seems to be missing, but that would be nitpicking. Material-wise I definitely think it's spot on.

The drifter pic is really cool too! I was thinking that the DoF might be a tad too strong for the top porsche one? That said, both you and I take a liking to DoF, so I like it, despite it making it look a little small :)

EDIT: I'm not sure about my DoF-criticism to be honest.

JonWelch

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on January 02, 2018, 08:18:04 AM
Loving the egg and worn metal scene! Especially the eggs! I thing the raw one is borderline nailed, except for this extra thick egg white surrounding the yoke that seems to be missing, but that would be nitpicking. Material-wise I definitely think it's spot on.

The drifter pic is really cool too! I was thinking that the DoF might be a tad too strong for the top porsche one? That said, both you and I take a liking to DoF, so I like it, despite it making it look a little small :)

EDIT: I'm not sure about my DoF-criticism to be honest.

Haha no worries man, I know I love DoF shots, and I do agree the first shot of the Porsche proboably has a little too much DoF, it was in my head the whole time I was putting together the scene, but couldn't bring myself to admit it haha.

As for the egg white, are you talking about the Chalaza? I had to look up exactly what you might be talking about. I honestly forgot about this thing and never knew what it was called, but hey, now I learned something new lol

NM-92

Speaking about DoF, i think the Jack Daniels scene could use some of that magic ! haha. The outline of the bottle is kinda fading away and it's not noticeable in my opinion. The fire hose thingy is really cool.

Will Gibbons

Thanks for linking to an image with the trees you used! They look pretty good in that shot. Also, I think the 2nd Porsche rendering is my favorite of these. That cracked egg is great too!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: JonWelch on January 02, 2018, 09:31:34 AM
As for the egg white, are you talking about the Chalaza? I had to look up exactly what you might be talking about. I honestly forgot about this thing and never knew what it was called, but hey, now I learned something new lol
I had no idea it was called Chalaza. Hah, what complicated non-intuitive words get when you start going into details. But that's the string, right? I was thinking more about the thick albumen (didn't know that name either until just now).

For reference: https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-5a28dc6f3d6a5c209159dc1b96b39376-c

Josh3D

Ouch! Hope you're feeling better Jon - I'd be drinkin' that Whiskey instead of rendering it :) Great shots!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on January 03, 2018, 08:15:15 AM
Quote from: JonWelch on January 02, 2018, 09:31:34 AM
I had no idea it was called Chalaza. Hah, what complicated non-intuitive words get when you start going into details. But that's the string, right? I was thinking more about the thick albumen (didn't know that name either until just now).

For reference: https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-5a28dc6f3d6a5c209159dc1b96b39376-c

Nature's design is a great reminder of how much we have yet to learn. Amazing.

JonWelch

Well it feels like I've been away from the forum for a while, but I'm glad to be back and able to do some personal renderings again. Here's a few thing's I did over the last few days. I've enjoyed all the new posts I've missed for the past month, hope everyone keeps up the good work.

JonWelch

A new interior render I put together for some practice. My wife loves the ability to concept different ideas for our home, so we work together on different ideas. Just thought I'd share.  :)

rfollett

Magnus Skogsfjord

There is a lot of stuff I've missed here! I'm loving the shot with the packaged sunglasses. Lovely reflections.

Also cool example of choosing elements for interior design! Did the same thing myself to pick a color when refurbishing stairs.

Hossein Alfideh

Great renders John! Love those Rayban shades though.Did you model it yourself?

JonWelch

Thanks for the compliments guys. Hossein - I sure did. I recieved the pair as a Christmas present and knew right away that I had to build them. It was a bit of a challenge, but i think they turned out alright.