Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X

Started by NM-92, April 28, 2016, 08:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM-92

Hello ! I bought my first model to work with from CGriver. As the title says, it's a Lancer Evo. Here is the first shot. I will use this for extensive practice so i'll be updating this topic with future shots. Hope you like it !

Josh3D

I think you've done a great job here. That rear disc looks oddly different from the front. I'd say it's the light, but the wheels look the same.  This has the feel of a more illustrative appearance, but I think some areas are way too dark. For instance, you can't tell where the tire ends and the wheel well begins. Other than that, shadows and highlights look great!

NM-92

Hey Josh. Thank you. I agree on the dark spots, i had a harsh time trying to fix that on post-pro, and yes, the rear disc seems kinda blue-ish. I'll make a couple more shots and then i'll try to fix and tweak them all.

Edit: Raw Render

NM-92

NM-92

NM-92

NM-92

NM-92

Chad Holton

I really like the last few shots. I hope you don't mind a couple of critiques:

- The tires look really inflated. If you add a ground plane in and clip the bottom of the tires just slightly (using ground clipping feature), I think they would look even better.

- The brake rotors look a bit bright (maybe your intent). To make it look darker, try using the anisotropic material and darken both the color and specular to your liking. I usually make the color almost black and adjust the specular from there. To take it to another level, try using a swirl (e.g. brushed radial procedural) color and bump map (with very slight bump).

Magnus Skogsfjord

I'll throw in a +1 on the last few shots as Chad mentions here. Great development! I'm new to automotive rendering myself, so I'll steer clear of criticism though.

Quote from: Chad Holton on May 04, 2016, 11:54:47 AMTo make it look darker, try using the anisotropic material and darken both the color and specular

I've never thought of using the anisotropic material for metals. Intriguing tip.

NM-92

Thank you both for your comments. I've already been told that the tires looked Like that so i'll try that ground plane trick. Brake disk already have a radial brushed texture, it looks bright because i had to throw some lights pointing the tire to really get some detail in that área, now i relize it was a bit too much. I'll post here my attempts on fixing those issues. Thank you again.

NM-92

I watched Chip Walters tutorial (the one uploaded to keyshot's instagram account) and found his technique amazing so i decided to try that on this model, hope you like it !

TpwUK

That's actually quiet effective - well done :)

Martin

LayC42

I like the illustration like type - but - missing the head lamps. A transparent toon shader like the wind shield should work fine.

Great job at all!

NM-92

Quote from: LayC42 on May 10, 2016, 05:13:45 AM
I like the illustration like type - but - missing the head lamps. A transparent toon shader like the wind shield should work fine.

Great job at all!

Thank you ! I actually tried the head lamps transparency thing when i did this , but the results were really weird. Too much noise and really dark. Adjusting the lighting settings didn't fix it so i decided it to leave it as it is now.